Thread: How to find LAN contents

Beans

How to find LAN contents

I am lost about how to get my Local Area Network working again. It used to work before Unity, and it might still work, but I don't know how to access it.

I am working with a wired network. 2 dual boot laptops, windowsXP and ubuntu, and 2 single boot windowsXP stand alone systems. The laptops can access ethernet from either operating system and the standalones from XP.

My current effort is to see out to another LAN member from this laptop, named laptop a HP Presario 2100 running Ubuntu. ifconfig on laptop gives the following:

-Laptop:~$ ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0b:cd:32:39:42
    inet addr:192.168.0.4 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::20b:cdff:fe32:3942/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:815 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:835 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:676701 (676.7 KB) TX bytes:117043 (117.0 KB)
    Interrupt:10 Base address:0xc000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:2080 (2.0 KB) TX bytes:2080 (2.0 KB)

It can ping the other laptop (AcerX) and it shows up as samba 3.5.11 from AcerX running windowsXP. laptop's drives show as c: e: and f: which are the xp designations on laptop.

Can somebody help me see what I am missing? Maybe if I knew what I was doing, this might work.
    Last edited by jemvyc; April 3rd, 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How to find LAN contents

"My current effort is to see out to another LAN member from this laptop..."

Perhaps you could say this again using different words, please? Do you want to access shared folders? No one has responded to your question, perhaps because they don't understand what you want to do, or what is not working.

Beans

From this computer I am not able to see that there are any other computers in the LAN. Before Unity I used to be able to click on network in the files list and it would list the computers in the LAN. Now there is nothing and I don't know where to look for it.

If I try to print using another computer in the LAN all I get is an error about the printer not being found. All this used to work before the change to Unity last fall.

Beans

I am continuing to try to figure this out. I followed the instructions to use the gnome classic and from there I can see a network entry in the places title. In file manager I can browse to "windows network" which then contains "my home" but when I try to open my home I get "unable to mount location" "failed to retrieve share list from server".

Now that leaves 2 questions:
    1 why can't I get to that dialog from Unity?

2 where to I look to fix the network problem?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I assume you have samba installed? You say you installed Unity, does this mean you upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04? I abhor upgrades, too many things go wrong.

If you run "printers," then select "network printer," and wait a few seconds, the printer might show up. It always does for me, and I've tried half a dozen distros/versions this year. (Brother laser connected to my router.)

You didn't make any change to your router? Some routers block communication between computers in the LAN.