Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Root

Beans

Root

I am trying to make a separate user account with root privileges. I already know that you can give yourself temporary root privileges on your normal account. I am trying to create another user account with which I can login as root and am not sure how. Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Root

My recommendation: Don't.

Use sudo. There is no root account by default in Ubuntu for your own good.

Beans

I'm reading a pdf called How Linux Works What Every Superuser Should Know. One of the requirements for doing the lessons properly is that I need a regular account and a root account. It's for learning purposes and my hand is being held. I'm not looking to start editing config files. Can someone give me this info please? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm afraid you won't get an answer here, see the following threads for details:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=716201
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1486138
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree with QIII...as the official Ubuntu help-pages state:
    "Enabling the Root account is rarely necessary. Almost everything you need to do as administrator of an Ubuntu system can be done via sudo or gksudo. If you really need a persistent Root login, the best alternative is to simulate a Root login shell using the following command..."

These are the help-pages. Please read through the instructions carefully:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I suspect that you might achieve the objectives of the lessons by having one account in the sudoers file and one not.

For the times you need to sign in as "root", sign in with the account in the sudoers file and use sudo.

If that will not work, see the link provided for a link to the wiki on how to do this.
    Last edited by QIII; April 3rd, 2012 at 09:39 PM.

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You might find the info you need here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

I would agree with QIII above and say that you should only do this on an experimental installation and not on an installation where you have any valuable data.

One wrong command or even a typing error in a correct command can render your system unusable.

Good Luck with the learning.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I suspect that you might achieve the objectives of the lessons by having one account in the sudoers file and one not.

For the times you need to sign in as "root", sign in with the account in the sudoers file and use sudo.

If that will not work, see the link provided for a link to the wiki on how to do this.
    Probably. If they do want to enable the root account, they might want to read the link winh8r posted.

EDIT: I just glanced thru the table of contents and I'm pretty sure you can do almost everything with sudo.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!

There are plenty of websites which will give you this information, if you really feel you must do things that way.

However, I'm inclined to suggest that if you do not already know and understand how it is possible to enable the root account in Ubuntu, you are not ready to use it in that manner. You will also find that it is impossible to get any useful information from this forum on using Ubuntu with the root account enabled, and most of the suggested ways to do things that you get from these forum sections will not work for you that way.

Why not try another distro that does use a root account in its normal usage? There are many available, such as OpenSuse, Fedora, etc etc. In fact most of the others.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+1 to Fedora from me.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast