Thread: Flash Problem

Beans

Flash Problem

K, I have been using Linux for a while but installation still vexes me. How do you update flash? I have it downloaded but cannot install it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Flash Problem

Did you install the ubuntu restricted extras in the software center?

Beans

Yes, it still is saying I have to install the newest flash player.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, if you're using Firefox then you can go to "Tools" and then on "Add-ons." Afterwards, go to "Extensions" and search for "Flash Aid." The creator of Flash Aid is a moderator for Ubuntu Forums so the extension is safe. In addition, the extension asks you to update Flash whenever there's a new update. I'm a fan of Flash Aid myself, eventhough, I recently argued with its creator as to which is better Chrome or Firefox...

Beans

How do I do this on Chromium?

Beans
    Hidden!

If you downloaded the newest flashplayer, then try opening the file you downloaded with "Ubuntu Software Center" by right clicking on the file and then selecting the aforementioned program. If that doesn't work, then there's most likely an add-on or extension for Chromium. You could try doing a google search and see what other users on the web recommend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by fiatveritas View Post
    Hi, if you're using Firefox then you can go to "Tools" and then on "Add-ons." Afterwards, go to "Extensions" and search for "Flash Aid." The creator of Flash Aid is a moderator for Ubuntu Forums so the extension is safe. In addition, the extension asks you to update Flash whenever there's a new update. I'm a fan of Flash Aid myself, eventhough, I recently argued with its creator as to which is better Chrome or Firefox...
    The extension doesn't ask to update anymore. You need to manually check that now, from the menu. Additionally, Adobe won't release more beta versions of flash, because they ended support for Linux. Flash-Aid is currently providing flash 11.2.202.221 while the repositories are offering the nefarious 11.2.202.228. I still haven't decided what to do in regard to future versions of Flash-Aid, but I probably will just remove the Beta installation.

About our disagreement of opinions, don't take it too seriously. I really don't like Chrome, but in fact I use Firefox, Opera and Chrome, depending on what I am doing. With the end of Linux support from Adobe, I don't see how I will be able to avoid using Chrome on a daily basis. Anyway, both browsers have their strengths and weaknesses. I for one prefer a browser that let me customize it almost endlessly and that provides more powerful extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by CrsHrs View Post
    How do I do this on Chromium?
    Just install Flash-Aid in Firefox, run the Wizard, close Firefox. Chromium will detect the changes.