Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grub/boot error after update

Beans

Grub/boot error after update

On the daily updates 4/2 of the 64bit version of Ubuntu desktop, I received an error after a reboot following an update:

error: invalid blocklist
    Press any key to continue

After hitting a key and giving it a moment my system does boot into the login, but I would definitely like to find fix what I believe to be my grub setup. I really haven't had many problems (running for over a month) until this update. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated, I'm thinking the grub config has to be redone.

Thanks,
    hitime

Beans

Re: Grub/boot error after update

Me too! This happens after grub updates.
    Ubuntu 12.04 updated, x64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have either of you tried to reinstall grub?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Have either of you tried to reinstall grub?
    When installing get this:

arch@ubox:~$ sudo grub-install --force /dev/sda --no-floppy
    [sudo] password for arch:
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small. core.img won't fit in it..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: non-sector-aligned data is found in the core file.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you have no embedding area and are installing to sda, then are your using gpt without a bios_grub partition? Or have you installed to a PBR as those are the two main places grub has to use blocklist to squeeze itself in.

However, in the GPT setup, there is no space following the 512-byte MBR for embedding the "second stage" core.img.

In a GPT partition map, the 31 kiB area after Master Boot Record where GRUB is usually embedded to, does not exist. When GRUB can't be embedded, its only option is to use blocklists, which are unreliable and discouraged. Thus, you must make a separate "BIOS boot partition" to hold core.img. BIOS Boot Partition only needs to be about 32 KiB in size, although in most cases make it 1 MiB because of partition alignment issues. It can be anywhere on drive.

You can set bios_grub flag in gparted or with command line: In GPT fdisk (gdisk), give it a type code of EF02. Or with terminal:
    sudo parted /dev/sda set <partition_number> bios_grub on
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

this hit me too, I did some research and my first sector is 34 on a gpt default install of 12.04.

the boot-repair app could not fix it, but did add my 12.04 to an old install on a second drive.

right now i have to boot to my old disk and select my new disk to boot 12.04.

Beans

This just happened to me after updating Ubuntu 12.04 from the beta. I get the error "invalid blocklist" " press any key to continue" and I can continue to the login screen without further problems. Reinstall grub from the Ubuntu startup disk rescue mode did not improve matters. My boot partition is on a primary /dev/sdb1. I can't insatll to MBR because I use a 3-thrid party boot loader which I won't give up I hope the developers can fix this but I doubt it. To change the grub program at this late date is either on purpose (to get people to instatll the "final") or a grave mistake. Either way it really is a bummer

Beans

I have just opened a bug report that I think may be related:-

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/972411

My grub update today resulted in:-
    error: out of partition.
    Press any key to continue...
    but seems related as I have grub installed to a partition not the MBR.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by phil.lxnet View Post
    I have just opened a bug report that I think may be related:-

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/972411

My grub update today resulted in:-
    error: out of partition.
    Press any key to continue...
    but seems related as I have grub installed to a partition not the MBR.
    if you run : sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
    it will tell you that installing it inside a partition is a bad idea.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It looks like the very newest grub 1.99 now does not work with blocklists.

I have seen another user who just installed with gpt and it worked until now. He went back and added the bios_grub and then it worked.
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast