Thread: Photo printing problems

Beans

Photo printing problems

I have searched the forum and i didn't find anything similar.

I am having problems when i try to print photos (images) with intrepid. Although i checked all the settings several times and tried different drivers and settings i keep getting the same results. Every time i try to print i get two compressed images instead of one on an A4 paper and the jop is never finished. It always stop at about one third of the job.

My printer isn't quite a photo printer. I have a HP deskjet 450.

See attached image for details.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Photo printing problems

What program are you printing from?
    DOes this happen wehn you print from other programs eg openoffice, gimp, picasa?
    What printer do you have, what drivers did you try?

Beans

I am having very similar problems but with a dedicated photo printer HP620. Ideally I would like borderless photographs but having great difficulty in configuring even conventional evenly bordered photographs. I have been searching for an application similar to Adobe Lightroom which has the templates. I am running Photoshop CS in Wine and The Gimp both printing options print wrongly sized photographs even though on the preview they show something different.
    Processor: AMD ATHLON 64 X2 6000
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT 512 MB
    Memory: PNY 512MBx4 DMM DDR2 533Mhz PC4300

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try flphoto

It has the best photo printing I have used....
    "Linux is evolution, not intelligent design." - Linus Torvalds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nikgare View Post
    What program are you printing from?
    DOes this happen wehn you print from other programs eg openoffice, gimp, picasa?
    What printer do you have, what drivers did you try?
    In every program i get the same results. Even .txt files. The strange is that when i try to print photos it happens all the times and when i print text, pdf etc. sometimes everything is ok.

As i wrote at the first post i have a HP Deskjet 450cbi. I tried gutenprint drivers, the driver that ubuntu installs automatically and the recomended driver from HPLIP website.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Using a Brother MFC-795CW am getting very inconsistent results.
    Here is what I have to do:
    The only way I can get Ubuntu to print properly, is to adjust print settings in control panel. Settings prior to print (Print dialog) do not work correctly, or not at all. By this method, Ubuntu can give the best quality out of printer CF card, Windows Vista, and Ubuntu. It can also give the worst; its not consistent!

I have tried various photo programs shotwell gimp flphoto ocular none perform better. All need the control panel/dialog, not print dialog for settings.

Somewhere the glue between program print dialog and print control is errant.
    Alistair

Beans

Hi Guys,

I'm new in Ubuntu and I really liked it. I'm a photographer and I can edit my photos in ubuntu perfectly, however when I print photos (4x6in) i cannot get a good quality. all of the pictures I print are pixelated, dots are showing, pictures are not smooth. I tried so many settings. My printer is HP F2280. I have no problems when i used it when printing photo using windows application in other computer.

the setting i can get from image viewer to print is 1200 ppi.

any idea?

thanks
    Garry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by gborozco View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm new in Ubuntu and I really liked it. I'm a photographer and I can edit my photos in ubuntu perfectly, however when I print photos (4x6in) i cannot get a good quality. all of the pictures I print are pixelated, dots are showing, pictures are not smooth. I tried so many settings. My printer is HP F2280. I have no problems when i used it when printing photo using windows application in other computer.

the setting i can get from image viewer to print is 1200 ppi.

any idea?

thanks
    Garry
    Hi Garry. 600 dpi should be sufficient for print. Just make sure in the print dialog eg when you click [print] that the Page Setup and Advanced tabs are correctly filled. This is the last dialog before the print happens, and they dont always seem to correspond to whats in the control panel print settings by default.
    If they are correct, then you might need to join me in putting in a bug report. Please PM me if problem persists.
    Alistair.

Beans

Hi Alistair,

Sorry for the late response (so so late . I am so busy at work and forgot my forum password.

Anyway, I am still having the same problem. I tried what you said and so many other option. but I haven't tried to use another printer because I don't have another one.

If this is really a bug, I want to help to provide more details.

Thanks,
    Garry