Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless is not working so no internet

Beans

Wireless is not working so no internet

Hi,

I just installed ubuntu 11.10 yesterday, but I can't put the wireless to work. I think the drivers of the old laptop Acer Aspire 5000 are not installed.

I had ubuntu 9 a year and half ago in other desktop that I didn't struggled so much as I am now.

So I don't have internet, and by what the foruns and ubuntu docomentation mention we can install something like a ndiswrapper I tried a few suggestions and so far couldn't take anything from the CD.

Can anybody help me, please?
    Last edited by brumas; March 31st, 2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Thread Email Notification Subscription

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wireless is not working so no internet

Hello and welcome to the forum. Could you copy and paste the following command into a terminal, then copy and paste the output here?
    Code:
    lspci
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum. Could you copy and paste the following command into a terminal, then copy and paste the output here?
    Code:
    lspci
    evey@evey-Aspire-5000:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 760/M760 Host (rev 03)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SG86C202
    00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS963 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 25)
    00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2/3 SMBus controller
    00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
    00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller (rev a0)
    00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
    00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
    00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
    00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
    00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
    00:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 02)
    00:0b.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter
    evey@evey-Aspire-5000:~$

I'm not being warned by email about new replies, i imagine that will be easy to find, hopefully

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by brumas View Post
    Code:
    00:0b.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
    This link may be helpful with getting that card working. http://nfolamp.wordpress.com/2011/10...m4311-working/
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    This link may be helpful with getting that card working. http://nfolamp.wordpress.com/2011/10...m4311-working/

the guy has this instructions for my case

Use a wired ethernet connection to the internet. These instructions are for getting wireless working. It is assumed you have a wired connection already. If you don’t have that, then ask a friend to download the packages to flash. Then install the packages from flash. If you are downloading the packages to flash, you will need two packages: “firmware-b43-installer” and “b43-fwcutter”. The packages can be downloaded from launchpad.net. Mount the flash drive, open a cmdline, and use “dpkg -i package_file …” to install the packages from the cmdline.

I don't have internet so I'm trying to download with a pc that has windows xp, I don't think that comand line is for windows or is it to put on a comand line in the website (launchpad.net)?

How can I do this?

Beans

I did this line on the terminal, hopping that actually I could copy the files from the CD (I don't know if it will but im trying everything).

dpkg -i package_file firmware-b43-installer

and it came with an error
    dpkg: error: request operation requires superuser privilege

can someone tell me how can give privileges of superuser to my user?

Beans

type 'sudo' before using that command, it should prompt for an admin password

Beans

get the packages “firmware-b43-installer” and “b43-fwcutter”

Quote Originally Posted by drexeltux View Post
    type 'sudo' before using that command, it should prompt for an admin password
    Thanks, that worked, but the package wasnt found or wasnt possible to access.

anyone knows if the packages “firmware-b43-installer” and “b43-fwcutter” are in the installation CD (ubuntu 11.10), if yes how can access them, if no, how can i download in a windows computer to a pen and then bring it to the computer with ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

connect the acer to a hardwired connection
    in Ubuntu. press ctrl/alt/t to ativate a terminal
    enter code
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
    this will load the correct drivers for your wireless card.

Beans
    Hidden!

After re-reading your post. It looks as though you have loaded
    Ubuntu on to your acer laptop...along with windows. Your "aquired" wireless
    connection will work with windows and the broadcom card. but will NOT
    work with Ubuntu. Untill you hardwire attach the laptop to the net, you will
    not be able to load the b-43 dirvers you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast