Thread: Chakra Linux - Anyone tried it?

Beans

Chakra Linux - Anyone tried it?

I recently decided to give this one a go, and have to say I'm really enjoying it. The idea is that it's a pure KDE4 focussed distro, and GTk programs are only available via Chakra Bundles that are separate from the package manager. In practice this works really well imho, giving the system a very clean KDE feel, and it is very quick as a result, seemingly keeping the system streamlined.

I like KDE4 a great deal, but the only downside is that there are still little bugs that pop up occasionally for one reason or another. I might otherwise have blamed the OS, but many of the bugs are visible on other KDE based distros.

But it's early days and they are still developing this system. I'm going to stick with it and see how it goes. Personally I think it has a lot of potential to be the number 1 choice for KDE in the future, but we'll see.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

Re: Chakra Linux - Anyone tried it?

I tried it - but it then tried KahelOS *download 2,8 Gig .... which I think is better as it still uses all the Arch
    repos ....

Chakra has done a fork and thats ok as long as a lot of users take it up .....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; April 1st, 2012 at 10:51 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    I tried it - but it then tried KahelOS *download 2,8 Gig .... which I think is better as it still uses all the Arch
    repos ....

Chakra has done a fork and thats ok as long as a lot of users take it up .....
    But that's a Gnome distro. The idea with Chakra is to be KDE-only. It's a great idea imho, as you get a lot of Gnome-centric distros, but hardly any solely focussed on KDE. I think it initially forked from Arch, but is taking it's own path now. I don't have a problem with that personally. There seems to be a lot of software available in their repos.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

Just that they are using there own repos now ..... thats all I really wanted to point out

but if you are happy with that - its good.

I personally wanted the Arch pacman and AUR ...... and as it says at boot they are now
    using there own ..... which could be good if they get the support that Arch has .....

Yep KahelOS is Gnome-Shell ......
    I added KDE to it as I like both .....

But as you say for pure KDE it should be good ......

I only installed the new version of CHAKRA the other day so not had a real good look at it yet.

Will be interesting to see where it goes from here though .....

Beans

Yeah I like both too.

Though KDE, like Gnome, often make baffling changes. This is one of the changes I can't find a fix for, and as I say there's still a few odd strange bugs and glitches here and there. But otherwise I love it, and I hope it gets better.

Beans

Kde is now my favourite too ......

I also do

gnome-shell --replace

while in kde and get the best of both worlds ...... as it allows kde to be the desktop
    with all the nice things it has - plus go top left and the gnome-shell workspace manager
    is there to sort everything out ..... love it .....

Yep the Eject button should be there ...... agree