Thread: Touchpad recognised as PS/2 mouse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Touchpad recognised as PS/2 mouse

Hello

I have ubuntu 11.04 installed on my Acer aspire laptop. The problem is that the touchpad on the laptop is not recognised as a touchpad, rather as a "PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse". This means that the added benefits of the touchpad, such as scrolling with two fingers etc are not present.

I believe the problem is due to the kernel. Previous to having Ubuntu installed, I had fedora 16. If I booted with a later version of the kernel, the touchpad was recognized as an actual touchpad, however if I booted with an earlier kernel, it was recognised as a mouse. I can't remember the exact kernel versions though.

However, the second problem is that if the touchpad is recognised properly, although I can use all the features such as multitouch gestures, the pressure sensitivity gets screwed up. It means that I have to press on the touchpad quite firmly for it to work. In earlier kernel versions, the sensitivity is fine, meaning the slightest touch is still detected, however the other gestures don't work...

Basically, after that long and confusing explanation, my question is this:
    Is there a way I can get the touchpad recognized under my current kernel (2.6.38-13 64bit), but keep the sensitivity settings as they are? If not, and I have to upgrade the kernel, is there a way I can get the touchpad sensitivity settings back to normal, so that I don't have to push so hard on the touchpad?

Thanks,
    James

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Touchpad recognised as PS/2 mouse

try to install newer kernel, the newer, the better. back-up first! I stumbled upon software for configuring touchpad , i think it was called synaptik. I have a similar problem with my touchpad, on lenovo u300s, it is ultrabook, too
    It all started somewhere here:
    Hello everybody out there using minix -
    I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones...