Thread: Looking for a new work laptop for the wife... how about this ASUS?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Looking for a new work laptop for the wife... how about this ASUS?

I kinda forced my wife into using Linux/Ubuntu on our desktop a couple of years ago. She has adapted to it very well, and actually now would prefer to keep using Linux/Ubuntu (as much as possible). She does a lot of creating, publishing, and selling knitting patterns... all with open sourced apps. She is actually more compelled to keep using Linux than me! But her new job will be using windows based environment....

So, I am looking for a laptop that will come with Windows (don't want to pay extra for it, separately), but we want her new laptop to play really nice with Ubuntu. It will start off as dual-boot, and maybe just run Windows 7 in a virtual box eventually, if we can get a laptop to play really nice with Linux.

I am aware of the Optimus/Nvidia situation. I am aware of bumblebee.

But how about using an ATI Radeon video card? Not very many laptops seem to be coming with ATI Radeon cards. Why not? I found this one. Anybody got any advice on this computer? or anything else that might fit the bill as a modern lap-top, with all options, that comes with Windows but plays nice with Linux?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230318
    Last edited by iowabeakster; March 30th, 2012 at 05:40 AM.
    Xubuntu 12.04 -64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Looking for a new work laptop for the wife... how about this ASUS?

I would go for the asus you linked above, actually the newer amd chips lack proper linux support while the core I series is quite comfortable with linux. and is far better in terms of performance.

i've got a hp netbook, sony vaio laptop and an assembled core i3 desktop all these work fine with ubuntu/linux you can search for laptop compatibility in threads to know more.
    Make money by writing !
    You only live once, do what you like most !
    www.mintubuntu.net

Beans
    Distro

Thanks so much for the response. The computer above does seem to be nice. I managed to screw up my post above. I really wanted to ask how well linux is playing with the ATI video cards in laptops... now fixed.

derp derp derp
    Xubuntu 12.04 -64bit

Beans
    Distro

Computer is on its way...
    Xubuntu 12.04 -64bit