Thread: Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10 (on 2 separate HDD's)

Beans

Question Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10 (on 2 separate HDD's)

I can't seem to find this answer any where. I want to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10 "side-by-side" but on 2 separate Hard Drives. Ubuntu is already installed on the first hard drive. I want Windows on the second. Can I still modify the GRUB? and How?

I may be over-complicating this but I just don't want to screw anything up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10 (on 2 separate HDD's)

This documentation describes how to install Windows and Ubuntu (either before or after Windows).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultiOSBoot

Installing on a second hard drive is not much different than installing to a separate partition on the same hard drive.

Beans
    Distro

I would actually prepare the win7 partition from ubuntu. Just to make sure win7 doesn't ger confused with the boot flag. Windows is very stupid about this, and it can put the boot files in a wrong location.

You can:
    1. Disconnect temporarily the ubuntu disk and install win7 on the other disk. Then connect the ubuntu disk and boot ubuntu. In terminal run:
    sudo update-grub
    That will locate win7 and prepare the entry in the boot menu.

2. With both disks connected, from ubuntu open Gparted and prepare one ntfs partition with the size you want for win7. Maybe you want one partition on the whole disk, or a smaller partition. Then also in Gparted set the boot flag on that partition. After that boot with the win7 dvd and install on the prepared partition.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

Angry Re: Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10 (on 2 separate HDD's)

i need some help man...

I am new to ubuntu and and my compiz settings are not working..

Please help me someone anyone

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by INKs View Post
    i need some help man...

I am new to ubuntu and and my compiz settings are not working..

Please help me someone anyone
    Please create your own thread instead of hijacking another thread that has nothing to do with your problem.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would suggest to follow Darko's instructions, but when plugging in drives leave the Windows drive in the lower or lowest SATA port number on motherboard. That should leave it as sda where Windows prefers to be. Ubuntu uses UUIDs so changing Ubuntu drive to sdb should not make any difference.

In BIOS choose to boot Ubuntu drive and run this to find Windows install.

sudo update-grub
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I would suggest to follow Darko's instructions, but when plugging in drives leave the Windows drive in the lower or lowest SATA port number on motherboard. That should leave it as sda where Windows prefers to be. Ubuntu uses UUIDs so changing Ubuntu drive to sdb should not make any difference.

In BIOS choose to boot Ubuntu drive and run this to find Windows install.

sudo update-grub
    How important is this? I don't know which drive is plugged in where on the motherboard, and I've been going in through the back panel to swap out the connectors so that only one drive is plugged in at a time. Since, while installing 12.04, it thought there was only one disk, Ubuntu (and grub boot loader) is installed to sda.

Thanks,
    raen

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

When you unplug drives and install, that drive thinks it is hd0 or sda. My system reports in sda port order on the motherboard. This system, I originally had two identical 160GB drives, one XP and the other Ubuntu. I used to have to just choose a drive to boot in BIOS and hope, but know I know or it is better identified.

XP still uses drive numbers, I think Windows 7 uses a drive ID like the UUID. Ubuntu uses UUID so drive order is not so important.

But if both drives are connected and you install to sdb, the boot files for Windows may be on sda. Likewise grub usually installs to sda.

For the first time in ages I used a CD and let it auto install. It found some unallocated space on sdc and just installed there without any suggestion of anything. It also installed grub to sdc which surprised me, as I thought it would install to sda. And I think I have sdb as BIOS default for boot.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

So, in other words, once I'm ready to have both drives connected at the same time for a proper dual boot, I should be all right and not have to worry about what's sda and what's sdb?

Thanks,
    raen