Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can i get my ip back on windows.

Beans

How can i get my ip back on windows.

do you understand about windows , i have a problem with the windows network, there my ip is 169.254 , instead 87.120......
    in the first 2-3 months , i have network on the windows and my ip on windows and linux still was 87.120...... , but now on linux my ip is 87.120... but on windows is 169.254 and i do not have network. How can i made my ip 87.120.... but in linux to be too 87.120.... when was in the first 2-3 months.. please tell me , of course if you know

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How can i get my ip back on windows.

Since you provide no information about how your network is setup, you won't get much response. What is your network infrastructure and what is providing IP addresses to your machines?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In both Windows and Linux, the IP address 169.254.x.y means, approximately, "I tried to get an IP address from the router/modem/access point, but there is something wrong with my configuration and the router/modem/access point says it can't connect me."

What exactly is wrong on the Windows side is beyond my knowledge. I suggest you check and compare settings. I doubt this is the best place to troubleshoot Windows networking.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Look , 4 months my ip on windows and linux was 87.120.... , then when the 5 month comes my ip on windows changes on 169.254 , i'm not doing nothing , i don't understand about options and other things i want only to make my ip on windows 87.120.... and my network to come back , and Linux-s IP to be 87.120.... like windows. Windows and linux with one IP as in the first months

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Its pretty much what chilli said. If I'm not mistaken, 169.254 is more or less your connection going to Narnia, and you have to clean up route tables, manually assign the IP address, etc...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-d239a1a7ce1e/

Little bit of google magic, for you

Beans

but what i have to do.. I don't know i do not have experience..

With one word , does the problem can be solved , with one word again on windows and linux to be the IP 87.120.... no change with one word again?

Beans

169.254 is a APIPA address in Windows, its called a zeroconfig (link local) address in Linux.

It is assigned by the machine to itself when it has the TCP/IP stack set to find one from a router/DHCP serever etc and cant find one. It allows it to still function on a network but is not routable.

You need to check your own IP settings to see where the issue is as top why you are not being assigned an address or enter the IP address you want manually.

Cheers
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If I'm not mistaken, the problem is on the windows side of your machine. 169.254 is on that side, whereas linux has your regular IP, correct? You could always call tech support for router tables/ipconfig/etc help. or turn to Google and look up how to manually assign an IP address in whatever windows OS you are using.

Beans

I don't understand what to do when i log into windows
    ok i see your theories but i want to know that will have a chance to be the ip 87.120.... like in linux but now in windows to ? With one word Windows and linux with one ip. Yes or no or i will have to "delete" Linux to get my internet on windows back?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beceraful View Post
    I don't understand what to do when i log into windows
    ok i see your theories but i want to know that will have a chance to be the ip 87.120.... like in linux but now in windows to ? With one word Windows and linux with one ip. Yes or no or i will have to "delete" Linux to get my internet on windows back?
    This is not a windows forum.

Depending on your version of Windows go to the properties of the LAN connection and check your IP settings there and apply a static one if needed.

Or check your DHCP server for issues.

Or consult with a windows forum.

Cheers
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast