Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Automatic Installation of Xgl and Compiz

Beans

Re: Automatic Installation of Xgl and Compiz

Tried on a new Dell XPS M1210 laptop. Script installed fine but when I try to log in with a XGL session it hangs for about 30 seconds and then takes me back to the main login screen.

FYI: Graphics in this is a 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 TurboCache

Beans

For those who can successfully launch their Xgl-X session but don't see the fancy effects, I found and fixed the problem, pretty sure that's it.
    Run this to correct it:
    Code:
    echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nName=No name\nEncoding=UTF-8\nVersion=1.0\nExec=compiz --replace gconf\nX-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true" > $HOME/.config/autostart/compiz.desktop
    echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nName=No name\nEncoding=UTF-8\nVersion=1.0\nExec=gnome-window-decorator\nX-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true" > $HOME/.config/autostart/gnome-window-decorator.desktop
    echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nName=No name\nEncoding=UTF-8\nVersion=1.0\nExec=killall gnome-panel\nX-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true" > $HOME/.config/autostart/gnome-panel.desktop
    Could NVIDIA-users who have recently tried the script and whose Xgl-X session refuses to load please try what I posted above and the following and report their results?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -y install --reinstall libgl1-mesa libglitz1 libglitz-glx1 xserver-xgl compiz compiz-gnome
    sudo echo -e "Xgl :0 -fullscreen -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv:pbuffer & sleep 2 && DISPLAY=:1\nexec gnome-session" > /usr/local/bin/Xgl.sh
    To go back to your old xorg.conf, use the following:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Lastly, my apologies for all of you who are having problems.
    I'm very busy at the moment, but I'm convinced that with your help we can fix all problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Didn't work for me either

I think i've tried everything now. Same thing happens, I'm met with a black screen before I even reach GDM (this happens even if it's only the Nvidia driver I'm trying to load) I have to go in through recovery mode and copy over the xorg backup every time.

Anybody know why this is? I'm running an Nvidia 6200.

Beans

Just tried the script and it didn't work for me.

I'm running on k7 kernel with a Radeon 9800 Pro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

[QUOTE=Ra211]For those who can successfully launch their Xgl-X session but don't see the fancy effects, I found and fixed the problem, pretty sure that's it.
    Run this to correct it:
    Code:
    echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nName=No name\nEncoding=UTF-8\nVersion=1.0\nExec=compiz --replace gconf\nX-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true" > $HOME/.config/autostart/compiz.desktop
    echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nName=No name\nEncoding=UTF-8\nVersion=1.0\nExec=gnome-window-decorator\nX-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true" > $HOME/.config/autostart/gnome-window-decorator.desktop
    echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nName=No name\nEncoding=UTF-8\nVersion=1.0\nExec=killall gnome-panel\nX-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true" > $HOME/.config/autostart/gnome-panel.desktop
    It appeared to install correctly, no errors and all, but I don't see fancy effects when I run the Xgl session (I do get the lag though). If I try to run what you recommended I get:

Code:
    bash: /home/brett/.config/autostart/gnome-panel.desktop: No such file or directory
    Browsing my home folder I don't even have the hidden .config folder.
    Last edited by axiomata; June 14th, 2006 at 04:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Ra211
    For those who can successfully launch their Xgl-X session but don't see the fancy effects, I found and fixed the problem, pretty sure that's it.
    Run this to correct it:
    Code:
    Could NVIDIA-users who have recently tried the script and whose Xgl-X session refuses to load please try what I posted above and the following and report their results?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -y install --reinstall libgl1-mesa libglitz1 libglitz-glx1 xserver-xgl compiz compiz-gnome
    sudo echo -e "Xgl :0 -fullscreen -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv:pbuffer & sleep 2 && DISPLAY=:1\nexec gnome-session" > /usr/local/bin/Xgl.sh
    To go back to your old xorg.conf, use the following:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Lastly, my apologies for all of you who are having problems.
    I'm very busy at the moment, but I'm convinced that with your help we can fix all problems.
    Nope... I still don't get the fancy effects. However my keyboard layout seems broken. I read somewhere how to fix it but I don't remember where.

Ok, I investigated a bit and it seems that even when I select Xgl session from gdm, Xgl server is not started and when I try to manually run compiz, it complains about no composite extensions.

Then I try to manually run Xgl, by means of the following script
    Code:
    Xgl -fullscreen :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv:pbuffer & sleep 2 && DISPLAY=:1
    exec gnome-session
    Xgl server runs, but I'm left with just a background and the spinning cursor. Then I go to tty2 (ctrl+alt+F2) and try to run Compiz, with the following script:
    Code:
    killall gnome-window-decorator
    wait
    gnome-window-decorator & DISPLAY=:1
    compiz --replace gconf
    #fixes the shift-backspace bug
    xmodmap /usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.mx
    Compiz complains about D-BUS and says it'll deactivate it. Then it complains about not being able to open the display and sits there idle. So I'm left with Xgl server with no compiz and no desktop at all.

Can anyone help me nail this one? I would surely appreciate it.
    Last edited by KLineD; June 14th, 2006 at 08:00 AM.
    Registered Linux user #380444
    My blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Does anyone know how else can I check if /usr/bin/startxgl.sh is executing when I select Xgl session? I think the reason I get no composite extensions when trying to run compiz.
    My blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

how do i remove everythink that was installed by this script?

i can't switch to other useraccounts anymore, i have to logout with account A and then login with account B...

and everytime i press <ALT> it opens the "take a screenshot" - dialog...
    Last edited by b0rsten; June 14th, 2006 at 11:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I finally made it!!!

What I finally did was edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom and added the following info:
    Code:
    [servers]
    # Override display 1 to use Xgl (DISPLAY 1 IMPORTANT FOR ATI FGLRX).
    1=Xgl

[server-Xgl]
    name=Xgl server
    command=/usr/bin/Xgl -fullscreen :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv:pbuffer
    My problem was that the command above didn't recognized the && Display part as an option, so I just removed that to see what happened and to my surprise it started gdm (it took a while, with checkered background and spinning cursor).

After Xgl was initialized I just manually ran compizstart and it did it. Of course my keyboard layout is broken (tab completion in the console just makes the window sort of vibrate, but no autocompletion)
    My blog

Beans

Works fine on first try here. I Thought I'd post even my uninteresting results seeing as the script asked so nicely. I've got a Radeon X300 and Dapper.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast