Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: alternatives to adobe flashplayer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: alternatives to adobe flashplayer ???

Quote Originally Posted by souravc83 View Post
    What if I stop updating?
    Maybe I will reach a point where my old versions are not supported by Youtube or other sites, but that's like if I don't update for 2 years.
    I had a friend, a big linux geek. His idea was that once you have got a stable system, that you know works, you should never update.
    He had an old fedora build, and he never updated unless it was really necessary. I was reminded of him yesterday, when the smurf fiasco happened.
    While updates are the only way to improve your system, they can also end up breaking your system. If all you really care about is basic functionalities, that work well, it might be a reasonable idea to stick to the current versions of chrome,firefox, flash. that way, you are safe unless anything major changes, that is not supported in your old software.
    I switched to Ubuntu not long ago, and this is something that has got me thinking.
    That's a misguided concept. You need to update to get security and stability patches. That's the main reason people update their software, not considering new features, which are not provided by Ubuntu updates.

If you need stability, then you should install Ubuntu LTS.

In the particular scenario of Flash, it might be solution to not upgrade the flash package, but you will running an insecure version and it won't last forever. As you mentioned, it will eventually stop working on most web sites.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: alternatives to adobe flashplayer?

I'm concerned that Google is planning to use Pepper as a weapon to ban all other browsers from YouTube.

And YouTube's TOS can be interpreted as FlashVideoReplacer being outlawed and labelled as a pirate's tool.
    And interpret MPlayer as being outlawed and a pirate's tool.

Google may be committing an anti-competition violation as I'm typing.

TBH, FlashVideoReplacer is legal and the same with MPlayer for playing streams.
    But Google may falsely accuse us of copyright infringement. (Thus commit RIAA and MPAA like behavior.)
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; April 8th, 2012 at 12:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Flash is really dying on Linux and eventually everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    Linux support is dead.
    And I'm still not completely out of the woods even if I dump YouTube.

I'm afraid that Exposure Room videos could fail to play without Flash, even with the FlashVideoReplacer extension.

And I'm afraid that XR's gonna refuse to support HTML 5.

At least YouTube went in the right direction. As a result, XR and Viddler may go backwards.

YouTube's overall quality is better than 2008 and most of 2009!
    YouTube was buggy before late November, 2009. Randomly refused to play videos often with a generic message about a problem, including just a black screen with the message "This video is not available" or similar, even when not flagged, which happened to one video in particular and the person apparently had to re-upload a video to solve the problem.

And in 2009, this bug: When uploading, after the upload progress goes to 100 percent, the error "Failed (upload aborted)".

At least, YouTube isn't stuck in the dinosaur age!
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; April 8th, 2012 at 01:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
    I'm concerned that Google is planning to use Pepper as a weapon to ban all other browsers from YouTube.
    I think they are trying to force other browser vendors to adopt Pepper API and NativeClient.

And YouTube's TOS can be interpreted as FlashVideoReplacer being outlawed and labelled as a pirate's tool.

But Google may falsely accuse us of copyright infringement. (Thus commit RIAA and MPAA like behavior.)
    Google promotes tools like FlashVideoReplacer in their own app store.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

yes let us all beware

and how many know that Youtube is owned by Google

YouTube is a video-sharing website, created by three former PayPal employees in February 2005, on which users can upload, view and share videos.[3] The company is based in San Bruno, California, and uses Adobe Flash Video and HTML5[4] technology to display a wide variety of user-generated video content, including movie clips, TV clips, and music videos, as well as amateur content such as video blogging and short original videos.

Most of the content on YouTube has been uploaded by individuals, although media corporations including CBS, the BBC, VEVO, Hulu, and other organizations offer some of their material via the site, as part of the YouTube partnership program.[5] Unregistered users can watch videos, while registered users can upload an unlimited number of videos. Videos considered to contain offensive content are available only to registered users at least 18 years old. In November 2006, YouTube, LLC was bought by Google for US$1.65 billion, and now operates as a subsidiary of Google.
    so in effect what they are doing is a TOTAL MONOPOLY DRIVE To control the entire net material

make sure if you want to move or sneeze you have to ask them for permission first

from being a place of freedom the internet becomes a straightjacket controlled by a MONOPOLY

IS what they are going for here

ein reich ein folk ein video-sharing website provider and that is it

We need to remain vigilant here

They are locking it down bit by bit

I first realized that when i tried to open a new YT account 6 months ago

THE ONLY WAY WAS TO HAVE A GOOGLEMAIL ACCOUNT FIRST

LIKE a magic mantra at the gate [no Google no YT]

So yes expect software that no one else has being rolled out [iSteveJobs would be proud]

And penalties if trying other routes

This is THE BRAVE NEW INTERNET they are planning

All 3 YT Facebook and Googlemail have recently FORCED new "looks" which do not give you ANY choice

They are grooming us not so subtly for total domination Pepper will be one of their tools but no doubt many more in the offing

Thanx for bringing it up it needs to be discussed ... Awareness is everything

ps also there cannot be any mileage for those people to have anyone using Linux since it is all about choice/freedom and customization

making it hard for people to view YT or anything like that will bring many back to daddy [Windows] and mummy [mac]

the only way ut is true independence which spells LINUX SOFTWARE designed by linux people. I am no programmer and do not know how feasible that is but clearly that is the only way not to be at the mercy of what looks more and more like THE INTERNET CORPORATION [EXTREMELY Ltd]
    Last edited by shantiq; April 8th, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Does anyone version of Flash Work?

Having had the notorious smurf issue with the latest flash version I followed afix which involved copying another so file into the plugin folder. This fixed the blue face but now YouTube videos keep freezing. I enabled the html 5 test but firefighters seems to ignore this and still use flash. Firefox also crashes all over the place.

What's my best option Here?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Does anyone version of Flash Work?

Some videos just cannot be watched in html5 on youtube. Your best option? Well either you can get rid of it forever and learn to live with that or try and find an alternative for flash player. You could try lightspark, http://ubuntuguide.net/lightspark-an...e-flash-player. It is an alternative that is available for 10.10 and higher ubuntu system. It might be completely stable, but worth a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For watching Youtube you could try Minitube in the software centre.

Cheers
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz, NVidia GT430, Asus M5A78L-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Western Digital Green 1TB SATA2 hard-drive

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTurtle View Post
    Some videos just cannot be watched in html5 on youtube. Your best option? Well either you can get rid of it forever and learn to live with that or try and find an alternative for flash player. You could try lightspark, http://ubuntuguide.net/lightspark-an...e-flash-player. It is an alternative that is available for 10.10 and higher ubuntu system. It might be completely stable, but worth a try.
    I've read that Adobe are not going to make any more versions of flash for linux. I wonder what will happen down the line. There's so much flash content embedded in sites it's going to be very difficult to do without it.

I'll give this lightspark a go and that minitube seems to work OK for Youtube videos.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pickarooney View Post
    I've read that Adobe are not going to make any more versions of flash for linux. I wonder what will happen down the line. There's so much flash content embedded in sites it's going to be very difficult to do without it.

I'll give this lightspark a go and that minitube seems to work OK for Youtube videos.
    I completely forgot minitube. It is a great youtube client. Flash is everywhere on the web, but websites are starting to use html5 as well. This means that eventually it will not even matter to Linux users if flash is available for Linux or not.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast