Thread: Nautilus ignores can_change_accels

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Nautilus ignores can_change_accels

I'm trying to change some Nautilus accelerators, but ticking can_change_accels in gconf-editor doesn't seem to do anything for me.
    I do see
    (gconf-editor:3346): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: property `type' of object class `GConfEditorWindow' is not readable
    in the terminal as soon as I open it, but this does not look relevant to me...

Does it work for you?

I'd be grateful for some help...
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; April 2nd, 2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added prefix

Beans
    Distro

Re: Nautilus ignores can_change_accels

*bump*

Can someone please just verify this on their machine, so I know if it's a bug or some problem with my installation?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I doubt if one person in a thousand understands what you mean by "I'm trying to change some Nautilus accelerators," Are you really running 10.10?

Beans
    Distro

Well, I'm really on Mint 12 (hence the other_os prefix), but since it's Ubuntu 11.10 underneath, I've now changed my profile to reflect it. In the end, I guess the only relevant thing is that it's Nautilus in Gnome 3 that I'm talking about (is it Nautilus 3?).
    Back to the accelerators... I honestly can't see how could someone who doesn't know what Nautilus accelerators are help me fix them, but ok. I'm talking about keyboard shortcuts in Nautilus (like ctrl+shift+N for creating a new directory). I know that ticking the /desktop/gnome/interface/can_change_accels flag in gconf-editor allows one to dynamically change them, but for some reason my Nautilus is ignoring it.
    I can't bother anyone to install gconf-editor just for this, so I just asked the way I did in hopes that someone with knowledge and tools can just see if it works for them...

This thread suggests trying the same with dconf-editor, so I'll give that a go.

Thanks.
    Last edited by veggen; April 2nd, 2012 at 09:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by veggen View Post
    Well, I'm really on Mint 12 (hence the other_os prefix), but since it's Ubuntu 11.10 underneath, I've now changed my profile to reflect it. In the end, I guess the only relevant thing is that it's Nautilus in Gnome 3 that I'm talking about (is it Nautilus 3?).
    Back to the accelerators... I honestly can't see how could someone who doesn't know what Nautilus accelerators are help me fix them, but ok. I'm talking about keyboard shortcuts in Nautilus (like ctrl+shift+N for creating a new directory). I know that ticking the /desktop/gnome/interface/can_change_accels flag in gconf-editor allows one to dynamically change them, but for some reason my Nautilus is ignoring it.
    I can't bother anyone to install gconf-editor just for this, so I just asked the way I did in hopes that someone with knowledge and tools can just see if it works for them...

This thread suggests trying the same with dconf-editor, so I'll give that a go.

Thanks.
    For dconf, in the terminal use
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface can-change-accels true
    It works here on 12.04 unity.

After setting can-change-accels true, to work in nautilus I need to kill nautilus
    Code:
    nautilus -q
    and because I'm using the unity global menu, start nautilus showing the menubar (doesn't work with the global menu)
    Code:
    UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0 nautilus
    Last edited by stinkeye; April 2nd, 2012 at 11:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ha! Great! This one worked! Thanks a bunch stinkeye!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by veggen View Post
    Ha! Great! This one worked! Thanks a bunch stinkeye!
    Good.
    You may want too turn it off so you don't accidentally change shortcuts.
    Code:
    gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.interface can-change-accels

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: Nautilus ignores can_change_accels

Hi
    Is there any similar method for changing shortkeys in thunderbird too?
    thanks in advance
    We Can.

Beans

Another way to change keyboard accelerators in Nautilus is to use this extension. It works even with global menus.