Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

Beans

Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

GOG, a digital distributor of computer games, had a makeover and one of the features this makeover introduced was a community wishlist where users get to submit suggestions for either games or website features and vote on these suggestions. One such request submitted by a user called JudasIscariot was to add Linux versions of games that GOG already sold for Windows to their catalog i.e. games like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Neverwinter Nights.

Quote Originally Posted by JudasIscariot
    If a game has a Linux version and it is made and supported by the developer please allow the option to download the Linux version if at all possible.
    It's taken a while, but the Add Linux versions of games request on the GOG Community Wishlist has surpassed 10 000 votes! This entry is currently placed fifth on the wislist. Get to voting and make it first! This shows that there are gamers using Linux and that they are ravenous for support. With Linux seeing great support thanks to Kickstarter, the Humble Bundle, and Steam, it is only a matter of time before our votes reach the folks at GOG and they go through the simple task of adding Linux versions of the games they already sell for Windows.

Your votes count and they are just a click away!

Thread in the GOG forum asking for Linux support.

What GOG is all about:

Last edited by Zeven; August 20th, 2013 at 05:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: GOG Got A Makeover

Nice. Duly registered and voted! With the recent flurry of big Kickstarter successes of new Linux-friendly games like Double Fine Adventure, FTL: Faster Than Light, Wasteland 2 and very probably the Leisure Suit Larry remake (latter two both still accepting pledges), it would be especially nice to see more existing games made available, or older ones ported/packaged.

I thoroughly agree about more headlines like that. I've played World of Goo on Linux twice through since getting it in one of the various Humble Bundles, along with Machinarium and Osmos from the same or another Bundle. I love all three to bits, and really hope Linux becomes more respected as a gaming platform. Making Linux a clearer, obviously-viable option to people used to Windows and Mac could only be a good thing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor View Post
    Nice. Duly registered and voted! With the recent flurry of big Kickstarter successes of new Linux-friendly games like Double Fine Adventure, FTL: Faster Than Light, Wasteland 2 and very probably the Leisure Suit Larry remake (latter two both still accepting pledges), it would be especially nice to see more existing games made available, or older ones ported/packaged.

I thoroughly agree about more headlines like that. I've played World of Goo on Linux twice through since getting it in one of the various Humble Bundles, along with Machinarium and Osmos from the same or another Bundle. I love all three to bits, and really hope Linux becomes more respected as a gaming platform. Making Linux a clearer, obviously-viable option to people used to Windows and Mac could only be a good thing.
    I very much agree! The folks at GOG strive to release games without DRM, without regional pricing, and with worldwide availability in mind, among other things, so how much harder can it be to get the rights to Linux versions of games for Windows games they already have the rights to?

Beans

Remember for the next 12 hours or so you can get the first Fallout for free from GOG, and I can verify it works perfectly on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by leecheroflife View Post
    Remember for the next 12 hours or so you can get the first Fallout for free from GOG, and I can verify it works perfectly on Ubuntu
    with wine right?

if it works perfectly with no extra tweaking am signing up

edit: oh crap am late :/
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    with wine right?

if it works perfectly with no extra tweaking am signing up

edit: oh crap am late :/
    Works perfectly with wine, have put an entry in the appdb to show this. Brutal you missed it, but it's only a couple o quid to pay, well worth it!

Beans

I like it!
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Just wanted to update this thread by saying that the Add Linux versions of games entry on the GOG Community Wishlist has surpassed 1,000 votes and has moved from being ranked fifth to being ranked fourth and is very close behind the entry that is currently ranked third. The more votes, the less GOG can ignore this request. Keep it up!

Beans

My apologies for updating this thread again so soon but the Add Linux versions of games entry on the GOG Community Wishlist has now passed the 1,500 votes mark and is now placed in third with a very big lead over fourth. It has seen tremendous growth in the past day or so and has been getting a lot of comments as well, many simply stating their support for adding Linux versions and others providing extensive reasons for doing so. I must say, I am very impressed with the Linux community!

Beans

Just an update to mark the great achievement that is having surpassed 2,000 votes! The Add Linux versions of games entry in the GOG Community Wishlist has also moved up to second place and is ahead of the third spot by a decent amount. First place is also less than 100 votes away! Will GOG be able to ignore this wish once it achieves the most votes? We shall see!

On a side note, I will update the first post and the thread title to make the goal of this thread a lot clearer than it is at the moment. Hopefully that will encourage more folks to come vote so that we can see this wish attain first place sooner rather than later! I am more than impressed that this particular entry has gathered so many votes already!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast