Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

Beans

Re: Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

Just got a chance to read over the thread on gog.com including the official gog reps reply.

Doesn't seem like we will get it in the next few years, better of supporting a website that does support us; desura, gameolith, indievania

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    Just got a chance to read over the thread on gog.com including the official gog reps reply.

Doesn't seem like we will get it in the next few years, better of supporting a website that does support us; desura, gameolith, indievania
    How will GOG justify not being able to offer the Linux and Mac OS versions that many indie games come with these days? I just find it very unfortunate. They even said they could do it if they did this and that but it's beneath them and their business model apparently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Zeven View Post
    How will GOG justify not being able to offer the Linux and Mac OS versions that many indie games come with these days? I just find it very unfortunate. They even said they could do it if they did this and that but it's beneath them and their business model apparently.
    Now you're just putting words in their mouths. No one said anything about Linux being "beneath them", quite the opposite, in fact. They actually want to do Linux, they just don't want to half-*** support and screw it up and they certainly don't want to do it piecemeal. Additionally, there is the really big question of whether or not they can actually afford the up-front investment required to get full-on Linux support running. Take your your blinders off, GOG is not the enemy, their lack of Linux support does not make them anti-Linux, it just means they are cautious and want to do things right.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    Now you're just putting words in their mouths. No one said anything about Linux being "beneath them", quite the opposite, in fact. They actually want to do Linux, they just don't want to half-*** support and screw it up and they certainly don't want to do it piecemeal. Additionally, there is the really big question of whether or not they can actually afford the up-front investment required to get full-on Linux support running. Take your your blinders off, GOG is not the enemy, their lack of Linux support does not make them anti-Linux, it just means they are cautious and want to do things right.
    I disagree that I am putting words in GOG's mouth, and I did not say that Linux is beneath them. I was referring to the "this and that" part and think it was fair to say after I read the this:

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigmaticT
    Of course, we could just release a client, sell the games, and figure that you can sort the rest out yourself--I'm sure some businesses may even consider that a successful business model--but that's not really the GOG way of doing business.
    I also realize that they are not anti Linux but that they are putting too many limiters on themselves. This all or nothing approach is rather frustrating. Taking steps would seem far more reasonable to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Zeven View Post
    I disagree that I am putting words in GOG's mouth, and I did not say that Linux is beneath them. I was referring to the "this and that" part and think it was fair to say after I read the this:

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigmaticT
    Of course, we could just release a client, sell the games, and figure that you can sort the rest out yourself--I'm sure some businesses may even consider that a successful business model--but that's not really the GOG way of doing business.
    I also realize that they are not anti Linux but that they are putting too many limiters on themselves. This all or nothing approach is rather frustrating. Taking steps would seem far more reasonable to me.
    Then you seem to have either misunderstood his point or made a poor choice of words in your comment about it. He was saying that, sure, they could just throw something together haphazardly with little to no testing and absolutely no support then let us deal with the fallout of it on our own, but that's not the way GOG does business (I think it was actually a not-so-subtle stab at the way Steam tends to do things). They believe in respecting the customer and providing a quality product that is actually worth the money spent on it and works exactly as advertised; to knowingly do otherwise would damage their brand. In that respect, it is beneath them, but that is actually a really good thing, especially for Linux gaming. We should expect no less from anyone else thinking about getting into the Linux gaming market. If Linux gaming is to take off as a business, it is going to need professional, polished services to provide those games, instead of the not so professional, "we're making this up as we go along" services that are far too common in Linux.

They are not actually putting any limiters on themselves, they are just being realistic and objective about what's involved in making this happen, unlike most everyone else who has an opinion about what they should and shouldn't be doing. Who said anything about "all or nothing"? If they are going to support Linux, they want to be able to provide at least as good an experience as they already provide with their Windows products. That is a perfectly reasonable goal for any business and they should not be faulted for that, but that goal does not mean they are going to hold back on Linux completely until they can provide that final experience, it just means they are going to need to take their time and do it right (plan, implement, test, bugfix, test, release). However, a lot of things have to happen before we even get to that point and most of them require spending a lot of money and resources that they don't necessarily have right now. On top of that, no one is even sure if this will be worth it to them at all. Are there enough Linux gamers out there to make up the costs involved in investing in the employees, training and hardware for testing, packaging and supporting the games, negotiating the licensing contracts for the games, marketing the games? I don't know, I'm not sure anyone really does know for certain right now. For a small company like GOG, that unknown makes the investment very, very risky.

Does that mean they will never support Linux? Absolutely not. It just means they are not going to jump into this without some serious thinking, planning and testing first. Like I said in that thread on the GOG forums, I wouldn't be surprised if they start making moves towards Linux after someone like Steam takes the plunge. Let the big guys with the deep pockets take all the risk and make all the mistakes, then GOG, having learned from that, can come in and do it a little bit better and maybe a little bit smarter... certainly a little bit classier .

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I registered and voted. There's around 3.7k votes right now. It'd be great if they supported Linux and each step will get more people, developers (because they aren't people, are they?) and companies (which are people now, right?) over to our side and each step is one step closer to total domination! However I do not agree with their privacy policy as they seem to track and keep record of what people are doing on their site and everything so personally I probably won't be using their service.
    Out of date specs.
    Linux #448948 Ubuntu #15780
    P4 HT 3.37GHz, 2.5GB PC2-5300, Radeon X1550, 250GB SATAII, 250GB IDE | Asus Eee PC 1000 Eeebuntu 3

Beans
    Hidden!

xdarkxanarchyx: are you using Steam, Facebook or any of Google products?

Beans

GOG Game Service May Come To Linux! Eurogamer Germany appears to have made a slight mention of this request as well!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

voted when i first saw it!

Beans

This request has now surpassed 4 000 votes. Many thanks to all those who voted!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast