Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

They've been willing for quite some time, it was all a matter of having the right strategy for supporting Linux that was financially viable, and realistic to maintain for them, as a business.

So this means they are closer to seeing it through! Very exciting news, I'm looking forward to what comes of this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I did read some feedback from developers about whether porting games to Linux was economically viable, and they all agreed that 1.5% of a market is still a lot of sales, and one dev stated specifically that it had worked out very well for them to have ported to the OS that is hungriest for games.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

And (and I didn't know this until today) GOG.com is owned by RedProjekt, developers of the Witcher games. Interesting....

Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    I did read some feedback from developers about whether porting games to Linux was economically viable, and they all agreed that 1.5% of a market is still a lot of sales, and one dev stated specifically that it had worked out very well for them to have ported to the OS that is hungriest for games.
    See, that's what I find interesting. Overall market share for Linux is around 1.5%, but when it comes to game sales, Linux's market share gets dangerously close to Mac OS, in some cases even surpassing it, despite the latter having far more overall market share. Considering that, plus how supporting Mac OS makes it easier to support Linux, I don't see why not more developers support LInux.

Beans
    Hidden!

GOG.com now supports Linux: http://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_now_supports_linux
    Also, there is a special launch promo: http://www.gog.com/promo/linux_launch_promo_240714

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Well! They really are! They're making "Darklands," say, available as a tar.gz file OR as a .deb file; I just checked.

Halloo Hallay!

Ubuntu user 28819

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213