Thread: Function (Fn) Keys don't work properly

Beans

Function (Fn) Keys don't work properly

Hi,
    I am running Xubuntu 11.10 and only my brightness function keys (Fn + up/down) work. The sound functionality (Fn + left/right) doesn't do anything. The function keys work perfectly on Ubuntu 11.10 and Linux Mint 12. Can anyone tell me what I could do to fix this? What package is used to drive this Fn key functionality (perhaps I could reinstall it).
    I am using a Lenovoo E-350 laptop. Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Function (Fn) Keys don't work properly

bump?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Here is what I did to get around this for my Logitech keyboard. Open Settings Manager and then Keyboard. Open the tab Application Shortcuts. Click Add to create a new shortcut.
    The commands I am using are:
    - Lower volume: amixer set Master 5%-
    - Raise volume: amixer set Master 5%+
    - Mute: amixer set Master toggle

When you click on Add it asks for a command, then enter the amixer command given above. Next it asks for a key, so press the key you want to associate with it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kpuz View Post
    Hi,
    I am running Xubuntu 11.10 and only my brightness function keys (Fn + up/down) work. The sound functionality (Fn + left/right) doesn't do anything. The function keys work perfectly on Ubuntu 11.10 and Linux Mint 12. Can anyone tell me what I could do to fix this? What package is used to drive this Fn key functionality (perhaps I could reinstall it).
    I am using a Lenovoo E-350 laptop. Thanks in advance.
    Fn keys are managed by the bios, youe bios most likely have some drivers for linux

this link will give you a explanation
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/28848...i-osi-linux-do

Remember, be careful, since this is a config file for your bootloader, botching this will only get you annoyance of a live cd rescue
    go to
    /etc/grub/default

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/grub/default
    At this line
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    add these few strings
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux "
    save

when your done
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans

The daemon xfce4-volumed should manage the volume up and down keys. Click on the volume indicator on your panel and select the "Master" control.

Don't think that your problem is related to the BIOS, because you are able to adjust the brightness with [fn] + up/down .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brainwash View Post
    The daemon xfce4-volumed should manage the volume up and down keys. Click on the volume indicator on your panel and select the "Master" control.

Don't think that your problem is related to the BIOS, because you are able to adjust the brightness with [fn] + up/down .
    i didnt say his bios has a problem, but he need kernel driver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fn_key

fn keys are special, the os does not understand the key presses of fn keys. So he needs to add the kernel parameter acpi_osi=Linux. This will probably solve his fn key problem
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by idoitprone
    i didnt say his bios has a problem, but he need kernel driver
    Neither did I...

By setting the kernel parameter acpi_osi=Linux you tell the kernel how to respond, if the BIOS asks, which operating system you are running. The BIOS can offer different/new functionality based on the argument string. However, kpuz mentioned, that his FN keys work on Ubuntu 11.10 and Linux Mint 12. Also the keys to adjust screen brightness do work running Xubuntu.

So I think, that he should follow my instructions or create new custom keyboard shortcuts.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brainwash View Post
    Neither did I...

By setting the kernel parameter acpi_osi=Linux you tell the kernel how to respond, if the BIOS asks, which operating system you are running. The BIOS can offer different/new functionality based on the argument string. However, kpuz mentioned, that his FN keys work on Ubuntu 11.10 and Linux Mint 12. Also the keys to adjust screen brightness do work running Xubuntu.

So I think, that he should follow my instructions or create new custom keyboard shortcuts.
    well my eeepc and my acer laptop was is no different situation from the op. Brightness keys work, but the volume keys doesnt. This is something I do not understand. All i knew is that that have to add that kernel parameter to get my volume keys working
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

Beans

First of all. Thank you everyone.
    I tried the changing the parameter in the /etc/default/grub file and updating grub but it didn't fix the issue. Whats also interesting is that in Xubuntu 12.04 beta 2, pressing the Fn + left/right (volume) does initiate the notification bubble with changing sound level but the sound doesn't actually change.