Thread: Cannot print in Precise

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot print in Precise

Did you try this?

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Cannot print in Precise

Thanks, @Baldrick_NZ. I do have the driver direct from Canon, but it is the same driver the script I referred to in the top post installs. But the script also finds and installs the many prerequisites for the driver, which is fairly old. It is a 32-bit driver and it requires a specific version of libpng, plus who knows what all else. I really don't want all that mess cluttering up my newly installed system, again.

But I do appreciate your tip.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Cannot print in Precise

I have seen that, @PapaGary, but I haven't tried it. Thank you for the tip.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I have seen that, @PapaGary, but I haven't tried it. Thank you for the tip.

Tim
    Hey, you're welcome. It worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I have printer setups that have worked very well since at least 10.04 or before. Printers still work for me (Brothers) but previously a print job started with 5 seconds of hitting 'print'. Using Precise printing graphics like web pages it takes 45 seconds or longer for the printer to come alive.
    I'm seeing the exact same thing with an old reliable HP printer. Works fine for the folks using 11.10, Windows 7 and Vista but for me, I need to go off and make a cup of tea to print a 3 page simple doc.

Chris
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 11.10 / Dell XPS M1730 / GeForce 8700M GT (rev a1) / BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)

Beans

Post Re: Cannot print in Precise

Here is what I got after I added that repository:

Code:
    W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/michael-gruz/canon/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/source/Sources  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/michael-gruz/canon/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/michael-gruz/canon/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_main_binary-i386_Packages  Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_universe_binary-i386_Packages  Hash Sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    tim@tim-Z68A-D3-B3:~$ sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-mp630series
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package cnijfilter-mp630series
    Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cmccauley View Post
    I'm seeing the exact same thing with an old reliable HP printer. Works fine for the folks using 11.10, Windows 7 and Vista but for me, I need to go off and make a cup of tea to print a 3 page simple doc.

Chris
    Chris, thank you for that. I was wondering if it was a Precise problem or a Brother problem seeing as I only have Brother printers. If you're seeing it with HP as well that points toward Precise. I've alerted Brother to the problem but didn't ask for help because I feel it impractical to ask someone to support a moving target like Precise has been. Now that beta 2 is out maybe printer manufacturers will take a look.

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Cannot print in Precise

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Here is what I got after I added that repository:

Code:
    W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/michael-gruz/canon/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/source/Sources  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/michael-gruz/canon/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/michael-gruz/canon/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_main_binary-i386_Packages  Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_universe_binary-i386_Packages  Hash Sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    tim@tim-Z68A-D3-B3:~$ sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-mp630series
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package cnijfilter-mp630series
    Tim
    Same here!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Chris, thank you for that. I was wondering if it was a Precise problem or a Brother problem seeing as I only have Brother printers. If you're seeing it with HP as well that points toward Precise. I've alerted Brother to the problem but didn't ask for help because I feel it impractical to ask someone to support a moving target like Precise has been. Now that beta 2 is out maybe printer manufacturers will take a look.
    I've got a Brother HL-5250DN, networked laser printer and an Epson R340, that's connected to a WinXP system. I don't have any problems printing to either printer.

Beans
    Distro

Well, my situation is consistent anyway. I have three Brother MFDs.

1. MFC-7820N connected via wired network
    2. MFC-6490CW connected via USB
    3. MFC-J430W connected via USB

Printing from FireFox 12 although 11 performs the same. If I print a blank page, the printer comes alive within 5-10 seconds and spits out a blank page. If I try to print 1 page from www.weatherunderground.com, it takes 40-50 seconds for the printer to come alive. Thinking perhaps there's something about that particular web page, I did a search on Amazon and printed one page. Same story, it took about 45 seconds to 'come alive' then printing was fine. Once the printer comes alive, printing is rapid as expected. This behavior is pretty uniform regardless of model or connection. Printer #1 takes perhaps 5 seconds longer, probably due to the network connection. Wondering if it was a FireFox problem, I printed the same page to .pdf then opened the .pdf file and printed that. Same story, printer came alive after about 40-45 seconds. I tried printing to #3 a mostly text .docx file in Libre Office. The printer came alive almost instantly and printed correctly. I created 2 lines of text in Libre Office, saved as .html, opened in FireFox and printed it. Speed was as I would expect. There's something going on with graphics though the weatherunderground page had very simple graphics and not many of those.

Printer 3 is connected to a machine that has Meerkat installed as well. There are no printing issues with any apps so I'm thinking something is going on with Precise. I have Mint12 on a laptop, I should see how that behaves. Worth filing a bug? I hesitate to blame Precise if it's a Brother issue.
    Last edited by kurt18947; April 4th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast