Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Continuing changes to Tutorials and Tips - please read

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Pending Changes to Tutorials and Tips.

edit
    NEW SCRIPT

Disregard video as there is going to be a new one

THIS IS IN ALPHA
    edit
    NEW VIDEO

Here is a Video on how to use it*
    VIDEO TUTORIAL ON ALPHA SAMPLE

Just a couple of thoughts

having a html to moin markdown converter would solve alot of all of this not all but some. Here is a alpha script that maybe we could build upon.
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env bash 

##this is a script to change the markdown from non moin to moin 
    # the purpose of this script is to make it easy to take threads from the Ubuntu forums tutorial section and make them into wiki pages real #fast There is a Video Tutorial on how to use this and why this is such a good idea. I would like to thanks all the Ubuntu Forums staff #members and the Ubuntu documentation team for bringing this idea to light thanks Joseph 
    #This script is licenced under the GPL V3  please see documentation located here

#####################################################################################
    #________________________People that are Awesome___________________a.k.a helped out #
    #										    #
    #_________________________________Coming Soon,______________________________________#                
    #										    #
    #####################################################################################

#										    #
    #_____________________________________VAR___________________________________________#
    #										    #

MYUTUBE=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrIO9tJcVQ
    enter="Please Press Enter to Continue"
    ubforums=http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11827748#post11827748
    ER="Something went wrong please contact someone here." 

#										    #
    #_____________________________Installing Dependencys________________________________#
    #										    #
    #Line 19--32 you sould comment put after frist time riunning this script            #

#clear 
    #echo "This script will now install Dialog and the wiki converter." 
    #echo "Please make sure that you have watched the tutorial located here"
    #echo "$MYUTUBE"
    #sleep 8 
    #sudo apt-get --yes install dialog markdown libhtml-wikiconverter-moinmoin-perl
    #dialog --create-rc ~/.dialogrc
    #sed -i 's|use_shadow = OFF|use_shadow = ON|g' /home/$USER/.dialogrc
    #sed -i 's|use_colors = OFF|use_colors = ON|g' /home/$USER/.dialogrc
    #sed -i 's|screen_color = (CYAN,BLUE,ON)|screen_color = (CYAN,MAGENTA,ON)|g' /home/$USER/.dialogrc
    #sed -i 's|button_active_color = (WHITE,BLUE,ON)|button_active_color = (WHITE,MAGENTA,ON)|g' /home/$USER/.dialogrc
    #sed -i 's|title_color = (BLUE,WHITE,ON)|title_color = (MAGENTA,WHITE,ON)|g' /home/$USER/.dialogrc
    #sed -i 's|button_label_active_color = (YELLOW,BLUE,ON)|button_label_active_color = (WHITE,MAGENTA,ON)|g' /home/$USER/.dialogrc
    #sed -i 's|tag_key_selected_color = (RED,BLUE,ON)|tag_key_selected_color = (RED,MAGENTA,ON)|g' /home/$USER/.dialogr

#										    #
    #________________________________MAKING A SANDBOX___________________________________#
    #										    #
    #
    #echo "please wait "
    #function sandbox(){
    #if mkdir ~/Desktop/wikiSandbox ; then 
    #	echo "Was able" >~/.sandbox.txt
    #else 
    #	echo "Was Not able Id the directory allreay there ? " >~/.sandbox.txt
    #fi 
    #}
    #sandbox
    #sandbox1=$(<~/.sandbox.txt)
    #dialog --msgbox "This script $sandbox1  to make A folder under ~/Desktop/wikiSandbox/  This is where you will want to work out of.  Once again Please Make sure that you have watched the tutorial located $MYUTUBE . If you got was not able to create folder please go to  $ubforums and file a compaint  \n $enter " 17 90 

#										    #
    #_________________________________CHANGING THE CODE_________________________________#
    #										    #

echo "please wait "

function funky1(){
    		echo "Hello We are going to start out by gathering"		
    		echo "some information about the file "			
    		echo "Please Enter your File name and location " 
    		echo "Example /home/joseph/Desktop/wikiSandbox/kdetut.txt "
    		echo "Then $enter " 
    }
    funky1a=$(funky1)
    touch ~/.temppassword
    asd=$(tempfile 2>~/.temppassword)
    dialog --backtitle "Files that you want to Change"  --inputbox "\n ${funky1a} \n " 17 90 2>~/.temppassword
    retval=$?
    yourfile=$(<~/.temppassword)

###############################################################
    #_____________________Making Backup___________________________#

cp $yourfile $yourfile.old

#_____________________________________________________________#
    #							      #
    ###############################################################

#function sedaroo(){
    #if
    html2wiki --dialect MoinMoin $yourfile > $yourfile.new  
    sed -i 's|\[\[BR\]\]|\n|g' $yourfile.new 
    #shopt -s extglob; while read -r line; do [[ $line = @(*.png|*.jpeg|*.gif) ]] && printf "%s\n" {{"$line"}}; done < $yourfile.new
    sed -r 's/[^[:space:]]*\.(jpg|jpeg|png|gif)/{{&}}/g' $yourfile.new > $yourfile
    #; then  
    #	echo "The other mark down has now been changed to fit the Ubuntu markdown" >~/.sedaroo.txt
    #else 
    #	echo "$ER please write us at $ubforums" >~/.sedaroo.txt
    #fi 
    #}
    #sedaroo
    #sedaroo1=$(<~/.sedaroo.txt)
    #dialog --msgbox "sucsess $sedaroo1 \n $enter" 17 90

touch ~/.header
    touch ~/.header1
    header(){
    cat 
    } > ~/.header <<EOF
    ##title Community Documentation
    ## If you want to get involved with editing and organizing the Wiki, please visit
    ## [[DocumentationTeam]] and [[WikiGuide]].

## If you want to edit this page, please:
    ## 1. consider making changes to one of the pages linked from here
    ##    (this page is designed to remain mostly static) " >>~/.header
    ## 2. make changes you feel are necessary to [[/UserDocumentation/PageDiscussion/Draft]] 
    ## 2. subscribe to the ubuntu-doc mailing list: 
    ##    http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc 
    ## 2. post a message to ubuntu-doc@lists.ubuntu.com 
    ##    describe your changes and why they're necessary 
    ## 3. wait for a member of the documentation to make your changes live 
    ## Aggressive tags are a form of vandalism and are discouraged. 
    ## <<Include(Tag/ContentCleanup)>>
    ## <<Include(Tag/StyleCleanup)>> 
    ## <<Include(Tag/NeedsExpansion)>> 
    #<<TableOfContents>> 
    EOF
    header 
    header1=$(<~/.header) 
    echo " $header1 " > ~/.header1 
    cat $yourfile  >> ~/.header1
    cat ~/.header1 > $yourfile  

#ed "$yourfile" << 'EOF' \ 1i \ \ $header1 \ \n \. \ w \ q \ 'EOF' ;

#ed "$" << 'EOF' \ #i \ [foo] \ . \ w \ q \ EOF

#										    #
    #________________________________CLEANING UP________________________________________#
    #									            #
    rm -f ~/.header1
    rm -f ~/.header
    rm -f ~/Desktop/wikiSandbox/$yourfile.new
    rm -f ~/.sandbox.txt ; 
    rm -f ~/.temppassword ; 
    rm -f ~/.sedaroo.txt
    clear
    dialog --msgbox "Congrates you New file is located the same place that you entered above there is also a back up called  yourfilen.txt.old Please keep in mind that this script is in alpha and is going to be made alot different. But this is the idea. Thansk for helping with the Ubuntu community " 12 90  
    clear

Let me know what you all think

joseph
    Last edited by josephmills; April 10th, 2012 at 06:36 AM.
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I wanted to say that I think it is a reasonable proposal to have the Ubuntu Forums integrate more with other areas of the community. The way in which I envision the Tutorials and Tips working is:

A. Original Tutorial is now made a wiki page (or an existing wiki page is updated)
    B. A thread is created in the forums that point at the wiki page and discussion around the wiki page happen on the forums.
    C. The wiki page has a link to the thread that is dedicated to discussing it.
    Last edited by cprofitt; April 10th, 2012 at 07:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

An update on current activity ...

For those who use IRC, we are discussing how to manage these changes in #ubuntu-wiki

Please feel free to join

It would be great to have a few people from the forums interested in maintaining the community wiki join the team. A few hours a week from 5-10 people would go a long ways.

We are also working on a script that will automate much of the process.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post

For those who use IRC, we are discussing how to manage these changes in #ubuntu-wiki

Please feel free to join
    For those that have not used irc before you can use this link

ubuntu-wiki webchat
    Last edited by nothingspecial; April 10th, 2012 at 08:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm finding the help.ubuntu.com/community website/server very flaky. Tried multiple times yesterday to logon - couldn't. Then today it worked first time, but after editing and hitting Preview a few times the server failed - and I lost all edits. It makes you appreciate the speed and reliability of ubuntuforums.

So be warned: copy work in progress before hitting Preview.

Also something I don't like is that it publicly displays your IP address. It makes sense to record it privately - maybe - but it doesn't make sense to publicly display this. e.g. as a comparison, if you look at wikipedia.org's policy, they only do it for users who aren't logged in:
    When a page is edited by a logged-in editor, the server confidentially stores related IP information for a limited period of time. This information is automatically deleted after a set period. For editors who do not log in, the IP address used is publicly and permanently credited as the author of the edit. It may be possible for a third party to identify the author from this IP address in conjunction with other information available. Logging in with a registered username allows for better preservation of privacy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Since my last post I've found the server very responsive (it was just waiting for me to complain).

Also apparently the Preview button does save your changes, provided you start editing the page normally again (it's supposed to warn you that you have pending changes), as long as you don't hit the preview button again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

The ubuntu services (help, wiki, LP, forums, ask, etc) can get hammered 1 week prior and 2 weeks after a release. Release day tends to be worse.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Tutorials are indeed directed towards specific niches and forums have always been the most appropriate channel, nonetheless this wiki idea has its benefits that can't be ignored, like the better functions and support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

So it's been 2 months now, luckily this was never expected to be a sprint - more a marathon

Plenty has been going in behind the scenes and much work has been done in trying to foresee the future and it's requirements.

The tool picks up the first post and creates a text file with the necessary wiki code - still needs some work afterwards to finish the wiki - but it is a painless experience.

There is now a wiki page for the team - that's here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ForumWikiTeam

We've had some guinea pigs - these have all come from tutorial threads

/community/UnityLaunchersAndDesktopFiles
    /community/Unity-ReplaceDodgeWindowsBehavior
    /community/MigrateWubi
    /community/SambaActiveDirectoryDomainIntegrationScript
    /community/Bindfs-SharedDirectoryLocalUsers

Thanks to those people

Thanks also to - in no particular order

cortman
    hannie
    josephmills
    wildmanne39
    bodhi.zazen
    MG&TL

for the hard work and time they have put in.

Beans

I still have very substantial concerns about the direction that Tutorials and Tips is going but I have in the past and more recently converted many of my tutorials to wiki format since this is the way things are going:

MuttAndGmail
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MuttAndGmail

Leafnode2
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Leafnode2

cdrdao
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/cdrdao

slrn
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/slrn

find
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/find

MPlayerTips
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MPlayerTips

Several other guides have been moved to my personal website as they were not really suitable for the wiki format.

I have university holidays coming up soon so I will be available to covert a few more T&T guides over, not my own as this is now done, although I prefer to do this by hand rather than with a semi-automated tool. Talk about this on #ubuntuforums perhaps....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast