Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Continuing changes to Tutorials and Tips - please read

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Pending Changes to Tutorials and Tips.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Closest thing I know to that would be askubuntu.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/29553...onfigure-unity

I do not know of any VB plugins to accomplish the sort of integration you suggest.
    Have a look at this vb community, the forum software is one of the best vb configurations I have ever seen. Their articles function is actually a wiki. I'm not actually on this community but it looks well made.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    Have a look at this vb community, the forum software is one of the best vb configurations I have ever seen. Their articles function is actually a wiki. I'm not actually on this community but it looks well made.
    Again, sounds as if we are on the same page, integration. How do we move from an isolated forums community into a cohesive whole.

You will need to work with the Ubuntu community on such an integration, right now each aspect is quite isolated and, as you can see, some are unwilling to integrate ...
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; April 8th, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    Can I request that any howtos or tips I have provided are not transferred to the wiki...
    I was wondering the same thing despite the CC license. If this change goes through I will move the FFmpeg compile guide to the FFmpeg wiki. Not because of my resistance to this change, but because I believe it would be a more appropriate place for that particular guide (one of my goals is to have my distro compile guides all in one place). I don't want to see two versions of the same guide on two wikis. That could be confusing to users and I can only help maintain one.

Beans

Re: Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    ...only a handful of previously suggested guides show permission granted & even less were ever done
    Looks like mine is listed there. I recall someone asking for permission for them to move the guide to the wiki and have me delete it from the forum. I said no because of the same reason I disliked this current proposal: lack of effective communication. In my opinion the wiki just doesn't offer the same intimate user support as a well-maintained and up-to-date guide on this particular forum. The information and the support are on one easy to access place for both the author and the users.

I doubt the effectiveness of split guides.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Indeed there are some interesting times ahead . Anyway first version of the vlc page is online now, feel free to be the first visitor!!

Howto: Build the development version of vlc under Ubuntu
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/vlc.html
    Looks good! Now I have to do the same thing, but I still have to do taxes and I'm in the middle of an office move.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I merged 7 posts on other threads into this thread. Lets try to keep the discussion in one place please

As I said before , you are all welcome to discuss how we should move forward, or maintain your own pages, I have a set I maintain as well.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans

You will need to work with the Ubuntu community on such an integration, right now each aspect is quite isolated and, as you can see, some are unwilling to integrate ...
    I can appreciate the eventual goal of this change and I know we would all like to see the Ubuntu Wiki as a better and more utilised section of the whole Ubuntu experience. But I can also see that while this would be positive change for the Ubuntu Wiki so much more would be lost with the fragmentation experienced by the large number of skilled and hardworking people who have made 'Tutorials and Tips' such a great place. Please do not lessen the value of this great part of the Ubuntu experience, please leave Tutorials and Tips as it is.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I can appreciate the eventual goal of this change and I know we would all like to see the Ubuntu Wiki as a better and more utilised section of the whole Ubuntu experience. But I can also see that while this would be positive change for the Ubuntu Wiki so much more would be lost with the fragmentation experienced by the large number of skilled and hardworking people who have made 'Tutorials and Tips' such a great place. Please do not lessen the value of this great part of the Ubuntu experience, please leave Tutorials and Tips as it is.
    It is not as if we are closing and deleting this section tomorrow.

Beans

What you envision is what we have stated. Documentation goes on wik, discussion of wiki pages goes here, and support goes in the support sections.
    That sounds ok though there may be a fine line between discussion & support in some cases.

So to put simply - A future thread here would be something like ??
    ================================================== ===
    "How-to Blah, Blah"
    link to wiki page
    ================================================== =========

Then posts in that thread can be about the contents of that wiki page but not support of the use of the contents of that wiki page

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    That sounds ok though there may be a fine line between discussion & support in some cases.
    Yes, it can be a fine line , same with current tutorials though.

So to put simply - A future thread here would be something like ??
    ================================================== ===
    "How-to Blah, Blah"
    link to wiki page
    ================================================== =========

Then posts in that thread can be about the contents of that wiki page but not support of the use of the contents of that wiki page
    That is what we would like to try. Probably be some bumps in the road.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What's wrong with being a isolated forums community? And yes I know Arch has a wiki -- its great -- but god help you if you ask a basic question that has been covered in the wiki -- you get your head ripped off over there!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast