Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Continuing changes to Tutorials and Tips - please read

Beans

Re: Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

Hmmmmmmm........ interesting times ahead:

Pending Changes to Tutorials and Tips
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1949027
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Re: Pending Changes to Tutorials and Tips.

When are these changes going to be implemented? This is a time for me to evaluate how many of my guides I will continue to support and in what location I will place them, some considerable work is involved with this so a timetable of change would be appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    Although I do recognize the advantages of a wiki I must agree with Jose and Andrew. Many of the tutorials and tips fill a specific niche, and the format of a forum seems to fit them more appropriately. I think it's also an easier method to get help with the particular topic.

Also, what's the plan for existing, active posts within Tutorials and Tips? The OP indicates that they are to be migrated to the wiki with assistance of the community. I'm not really sure what that means.
    i spent a little time last week in the wiki looking it over, there is some good info & a lot of old stuff. Overall it's quite impersonal & just doesn't have the feel of Tutorials and Tips, a bit of a sinkhole

Anyway saw this, makes one wonder if there is anywhere close to the 'workforce' to transfer the even part of this sub forum in a useful manner or at all (1st. listing is interesting...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Documentatio...s/Forum/import

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    * I'm gathering that if the wiki deal proceeds that a link to & support of can remain here, ect.
    I really am having a bit of troubling dealing with the idea of a split guide: half on an Ubuntu wiki and half here. Another option I am considering is to place both the MPlayer guide and the vlc guide on my personal website and respond to personal email from the site. This would then be properly indexed by Google (as these Forums and the Ubuntu Wiki tend not to be) and open the guides up to a bigger audience. This would tend to lose the 'Tutorials and Tips' atmosphere but I suspect that the current atmosphere of nurture and support will be eroded by coming changes anyway. The option is always there for another person to place this guide on the Ubuntu Wiki anyway, and hopefully keep it up to date as well!

Working on the web pages anyway at the moment just to keep my options open....
    Last edited by andrew.46; April 7th, 2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Oops... forget which guide I was in :)

Beans

Definitely not a fan of this proposed change, if people want to put some of these guides there fine, but not at the expense of here
    (I'm gathering that if someone else wants to add another's guide that permission can be refused?

*plus for some fairly specific guides like your mplayer, vlc, ect., while likely not to happen in a negative sense the fact that anyone can edit them..

Beans

(I'm gathering that if someone else wants to add another's guide that permission can be refused?
    The process is not clear at the moment but the information in my own guides does not belong to me and I am more than happy that others do whatever they want with it. This includes publishing to wikis, using portions for their own guides, publishing on blogs etc, but I suspect it will not be me making the move to a wiki with this guide. Long live Open Source . My own plaintive wish is that the existing format in Tutorials and Tips would be left as it is, it has been very, very successful...

*plus for some fairly specific guides like your mplayer, vlc, ect., while likely not to happen in a negative sense the fact that anyone can edit them..
    Perhaps coming back from a 10 day meditation retreat has mellowed me a little . I am preserving my own work on my personal website so my own enjoyment of building vlc will continue and I will be the sole author and editor of this work at least, and hopefully others will benefit from this work. Initial work on the page is almost done and I will probably upload this evening....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    The process is not clear at the moment but the information in my own guides does not belong to me and I am more than happy that others do whatever they want with it.
    I wouldn't have thought you would - was only curious because on the 'import' page I saw on the wiki only a handful of previously suggested guides show permission granted & even less were ever done
    (maybe that import page is a no longer used avenue.

Beans

I wouldn't have thought you would - was only curious because on the 'import' page I saw on the wiki only a handful of previously suggested guides show permission granted & even less were ever done
    (maybe that import page is a no longer used avenue.
    Indeed there are some interesting times ahead . Anyway first version of the vlc page is online now, feel free to be the first visitor!!

Howto: Build the development version of vlc under Ubuntu
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/vlc.html

Needs a little tidying up yet but the html is pretty solid as I am fussy about such things . I will scoop up the MPlayer page as well and then think about things a little more.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I knew this day would come eventually --- a bummer for sure. Who uses the Ubuntu wiki site -- I surely don't, although I know in Europe and other international countries the wiki is used a lot. I've contributed many guides to the Tutorials and Tips section over the years. Likely with this move to the wiki section, my contributions to Tutorials and Tips are going to come to a grinding halt. I make contributions as a volunteer donating my time to look up a lot of information with each guide. I'm very comfortable with the formatting and editing required on the forum. Unfortunately since I'm not in college anymore (that was year's ago), I really don't have time to dedicate to how to learn how to create and edit and maintain a wiki. I wish the staff would allow multiple ways for users to contribute to guides (through the forums, wiki, and other sites) rather than shutting down one of the major ways users can contribute.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Change is never easy, but maintaining this section of the forums is nostalgic and unrealistic for the reasons stated in the first post.

If you do not like the wiki, I remind you of 2 issues:

First it is community maintained - go out and improve it rather then complain about it here.

Second, it is sort of self perpetuating - You (we) need to use the wiki to have the pages indexed in search engines.

I agree it is sort of a loss for these Forums, but a larger gain for the community.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast