Thread: Online Backup Service or External HD Off-Site?

Beans

Online Backup Service or External HD Off-Site?

Hello,

I was wondering what the best method of backup would be for what I need. Looking to backup various DVD's of home movies and things that I have, as well as family photos among other things. Currently, I have everything on my main desktop PC as well as an external hard drive and DVD-R disks... but what I don't have is a separate backup OFF site, in case of fire etc... Now, I'm wondering what the best/most economical way to do things is. Would it be better to use an online backup service, it seems like Carbonite is popular. Or would it be more economical to just buy another external hard drive for all my data and keep that somewhere off site? Just wondering what the best method/price of doing this would be - online backup or additional external HD off site?
    Also, as far as the compatability, are the online backup services just web-based, so there wouldn't be any issues as far as me using Ubuntu? Anyway, it would be quite a bit of space I'd need as I have many full DVD's that I'd need to backup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Online Backup Service or External HD Off-Site?

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmoke View Post
    Hello,

I was wondering what the best method of backup would be for what I need. Looking to backup various DVD's of home movies and things that I have, as well as family photos among other things. Currently, I have everything on my main desktop PC as well as an external hard drive and DVD-R disks... but what I don't have is a separate backup OFF site, in case of fire etc... Now, I'm wondering what the best/most economical way to do things is. Would it be better to use an online backup service, it seems like Carbonite is popular. Or would it be more economical to just buy another external hard drive for all my data and keep that somewhere off site? Just wondering what the best method/price of doing this would be - online backup or additional external HD off site?
    Also, as far as the compatability, are the online backup services just web-based, so there wouldn't be any issues as far as me using Ubuntu? Anyway, it would be quite a bit of space I'd need as I have many full DVD's that I'd need to backup.
    I've had this discussion before. The conclusion was that a cheap and effective solution was to use a external HDD and rsync to transfer the data, people have to be diligent at the end of the day in removing the data from site, the online solution is a slick solution but will continually cost.