Thread: Docking station external monitor only works with lid open

Beans

Docking station external monitor only works with lid open

Im using ubuntu 12.04 with the Linux-x86_64, 295.20 nvidia driver and have disabled the internal laptop monitor through the nvidia settings utility, only enabling my NEC PA241w through display-port as a separate x screen. The monitor will display no-signal if booted with the laptop lid closed on the docking station, it works correctly if booted with the lid open. When the lid is open signal appears on the external monitor with the internal one disabled. With the lid closed there is no signal on both. This worked correctly with the 280.13 drivers, the new ones no longer work.

Can someone please help me with this?

Beans

Re: Docking station external monitor only works with lid open

Bump... anyone.

Beans

Bump... anyone out there!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have been trying the same things on my M6600 at work. I have run into this issue in addition to a number of others. Unfortunately, I'm starting to think this is not a supported configuration.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Does your system automagically go to sleep, when you close the lid?

Beans

Yes, it automatically goes to sleep when I close the lid. No settings have been changed since ubuntu 11.10.

It won't boot to the external monitor with the lid closed even though the xorg.conf is set up to do this and has been working in ubuntu 11.10. If I boot with the lid open on the docking station it will disable the internal monitor and start my NEC as it is supposed to do. It just can't boot in this configuration with the lid closed and this is what I am trying to fix. I don't want dust in my laptop keyboard and it looks bad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Same issue here.

Dell Latitude E6510.
    If I boot the laptop while in the dock with lid closed, Post shows on external. Once post ends, the external monitor shutsdown and I must open the laptop in order to use the OS.

TL;DR Can only use laptop monitor and no external monitor with docking station.