Thread: is open dns ok

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question is open dns ok

Hi all, I was thinking of using Open DNS and want to know if this is safe or worth using? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Beans

Re: is open dns ok

Somebody tells that they put commercials while you use internet and that opendns is private company means not so "open".

Better use google dns

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Your ISP should already be providing anything that Open DNS can -- your ISP should be providing DNS resolution. If it doesn't, they are behind the curve.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by rmil View Post
    Somebody tells that they put commercials while you use internet and that opendns is private company means not so "open".

Better use google dns
    Thanks for your reply. Seems everything has its negatives, this is why I thought to get advice before proceeding. Best Regards

Beans

I've been using OpenDNS (their free service) for quite a while, and haven't noticed any problems.

I prefer to compartmentalise my Internet usage, rather than depend on my ISP for everything. (I use my ISP only for connectivity, and use other services for email and web hosting.)