Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how can I install real time kernal on ubuntu 11.10

Beans

Re: how can I install real time kernal on ubuntu 11.10

Hello again.

You could certainly download the kernel package from the PPA and install it - although the page your screen shot appears to show is for Precise - the version after 11.10 which you mentioned in the title of the thread. You would want Oneiric.

I am a little concerned as to why you have a broken package system. I think we should try to fix this.

Try the following:

Open Synaptic.
    Choose Edit > Fix Broken Packages from the menu.
    Choose Apply Marked Changes from the Edit menu or press Ctrl + P.
    Confirm the summary of changes and click Apply.

The software sources I mentioned in my previous post are the PPAs that you have enable from which you download the software with apt-get or synaptic. I wondered if the hardy ppas you appear to have could be causing your trouble.

Try the fix above and let me know what happens.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I execute
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:abogani/realtime

then when I open synaptic, there is no broken packages, and when I select linux-rs to be installed and Choose Edit > Fix Broken Packages from the menu , this error appear

is there no real time for Oneiric or What ?
    and what is the difference between linux-rt and linux-image-2.6.24-30-rt which I installed it

see this

and could I install hardy software and how ?
    Last edited by forsubhi; March 30th, 2012 at 01:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I remembered that I add ppa:abogani/broken to my repository and I have Question about linux-lowlatency is it helpful for real time

in the https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+ppa-packages
    there is a lot of ppa , did I choose the correct one ?
    ppa:abogani/realtime

I want to install rtsj on ubuntu 11.10 and that's All , if there is another way to do that please tell me.
    Last edited by forsubhi; March 30th, 2012 at 01:05 AM.

Beans

Ok.

I have just had a look at the Oneiric rt kernel entry on Boganis Launchpad PPA page - This particular ppa is designated "broken" and has a message saying "never use". So I guess you should remove it from your list.

It does appear that there are no working rt kernel packages for Oneiric - Im sorry i didnt know this (I use 10.04 Luci Lynx for my studio set up). I also wouldnt have thought the broken packages would have been available through synaptic.

It seems that most of the ppas are broken - the only ones with an RT kernel that arent broken are for precise.

It is possible to build a kernel with the RT patch yourself using the vanilla kernel source but I have to be honest and say I would be out of my depth to help you if it went wrong. So Im not going to recomend you do it. Feel free if your brave and dont have valuable info that could be lost.

Not sure what would happen if you tried to install the precise rt kernel - theres liable to be some incompatible code in their. As far as I am aware if it fails then your system would just fail to boot into that kernl - your old kernel should still work. BUT THIS IS JUST WHAT I THINK IS THE CASE - kernels are normally pretty self contained so shouldnt mess with anything else - BUT TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Sorry to have turned out not to be very helpful - I tried my best but my knowledge is limited.

Best of luck.

Beans
    Distro

thank you friend
    I'll try to install 12.04 beta 2
    Do you recommended this or not ?

Beans

I dont have any experience of using it. The final release date isnt until April 26th so you could experience some breakage between now and then but I guess the only way to find out will be to try.

I know that as far as Ubuntu Studio is concerned, many people have been recommending use of 10.04 over the newer releases due to bugs and performance issues - but others have been quite happy with the newer releases - I assume it depends on what you are doing and whether your hardware is working ok.

Why are you trying to use the RT kernel? Have you tried using the vanilla kernel? You could find that it works ok for your purposes depending on what you do with it. Also, if you are having problems with it you could start a specific thread in the Ubuntu Studio section of the forum - people with a LOT more knowledge and experience than me frequent there and may be able to help with configuration and optimisation.

I recently installed 10.04 on my newly built rig and was able to easily install the preempt kernel (this is know as a soft real time kernel rather than the RTKernel which is a hard realtime kernel - I cant explain the difference Im afraid). Sadly I appear to have a faulty motherboard that Im trying to get replaced so I havent been able to do full testing but the kernel installed fine without breakage and and appear to be able to run the system satisfactorily.

There are issues with using such an old release and kernel - security fixes and some newer features may not be available. I dont run it as my main system - I dual boot Ubuntu 11.10 and Ubuntu Studio 10.04 - I only use studio 10.04 for audio production so Im not too concerned by security issues as anything security critical is done on the up to date 11.10 system.

If you can use the vanilla kernel without issues then for now I might be tempted to stay with it until Precise 12.04 comes out and is stable - then maybe try moving up to it.

Beans
    Distro

thank you for your effort

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123