Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: BOOTMGR missing, any help on how to fix?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    15

    BOOTMGR missing, any help on how to fix?

    hello guys,
    spent a long time yesterday trying to sort my laptop out, i have ubuntu installed on my pc but previously my computer just loaded up a black screen with a white cursor, someone suggested it was the video driver, so i have downloaded onto a usb and i have got somewhat further, but now i have the error 'BOOTMGR is missing'
    any chance of fixing this without wiping and reinstalling preferably on a usb stick?

    thanks guys

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: BOOTMGR missing, any help on how to fix?

    I think you tried running the boot info script in your other thread earlier. We really need those results in this case to help troubleshoot.

    If you need more instructions, follow the link in my signature which has the instructions how to run the script and post the results.

    If your ubuntu boots you can do that from ubuntu, if not you can do it from ubuntu cd in live mode.

    This is a windows message, that the boot file bootmgr is missing. Doesn't have much to do with ubuntu, something happened to your windows boot files.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    15

    Re: BOOTMGR missing, any help on how to fix?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    I think you tried running the boot info script in your other thread earlier. We really need those results in this case to help troubleshoot.

    If you need more instructions, follow the link in my signature which has the instructions how to run the script and post the results.

    If your ubuntu boots you can do that from ubuntu, if not you can do it from ubuntu cd in live mode.

    This is a windows message, that the boot file bootmgr is missing. Doesn't have much to do with ubuntu, something happened to your windows boot files.
    i am a begginer at ubuntu, i am trying my hardest not to keep ask seemingly obvious questions, but i have downloaded the file and i have put it onto the ubuntu desktop, and typed the code sudo bash and almost every combination i can think of.

    i have this code for certain: '/home/ubuntu/Desktop/boot_info_script.sh'

    and i need sudo bash or just sudo


    thanks again for helping me so much, i know i am not the most easiest of people to help as i am very much in the dark when it comes to the basics etc of ubuntu

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: BOOTMGR missing, any help on how to fix?

    Sometimes I am not 100% sure myself.

    Also, at the end of the file name, before the extension, add * to replace any version number it might contain. So, try something like:

    Code:
    sudo bash /home/ubuntu/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh
    Don't forget, in linux desktop is not the same as Desktop. Type exactly as it says.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    15

    Re: BOOTMGR missing, any help on how to fix?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Sometimes I am not 100% sure myself.

    Also, at the end of the file name, before the extension, add * to replace any version number it might contain. So, try something like:

    Code:
    sudo bash /home/ubuntu/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh
    Don't forget, in linux desktop is not the same as Desktop. Type exactly as it says.
    I finaly have it
    thanks for the code, i was missing the asterisk, it is still beyond me why that was needed
    i also managed to search for the results.txt file as i couldnt find that originally either

    but these are the results:

    Boot Info Script 0.60 from 17 May 2011


    ============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

    => No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.

    sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

    File system: ext4
    Boot sector type: -
    Boot sector info:
    Operating System: Ubuntu 11.10
    Boot files: /etc/fstab

    sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

    File system: Extended Partition
    Boot sector type: -
    Boot sector info:

    sda5: __________________________________________________ ________________________

    File system: swap
    Boot sector type: -
    Boot sector info:

    sdb: __________________________________________________ _________________________

    File system: vfat
    Boot sector type: SYSLINUX 4.06 4.06-pre1
    Boot sector info: Syslinux looks at sector 36128324 of /dev/sdb for its
    second stage. SYSLINUX is installed in the directory.
    The integrity check of the ADV area failed. No errors
    found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System:
    Boot files: /syslinux/syslinux.cfg /ldlinux.sys

    sdc: __________________________________________________ _________________________

    File system: vfat
    Boot sector type: Unknown
    Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System:
    Boot files:

    ============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

    Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

    Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

    Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

    /dev/sda1 2,048 154,222,591 154,220,544 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 154,224,638 156,301,311 2,076,674 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 154,224,640 156,301,311 2,076,672 82 Linux swap / Solaris


    "blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

    Device UUID TYPE LABEL

    /dev/loop0 squashfs
    /dev/sda1 e2359f4d-788e-4340-9c7c-ce7ed8cd0e19 ext4
    /dev/sda5 326b6b44-75e8-46d7-9340-1b9a236c036f swap
    /dev/sdb 0EE3-0B30 vfat PENDRIVE
    /dev/sdc 08AE-9315 vfat

    ================================ Mount points: =================================

    Device Mount_Point Type Options

    /dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)
    /dev/sda1 /media/e2359f4d-788e-4340-9c7c-ce7ed8cd0e19 ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)
    /dev/sdb /cdrom vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437, iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
    /dev/sdc /media/08AE-9315 vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=999,gid=999,shortname=mixed,d mask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks)


    =============================== sda1/etc/fstab: ================================

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=e2359f4d-788e-4340-9c7c-ce7ed8cd0e19 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=326b6b44-75e8-46d7-9340-1b9a236c036f none swap sw 0 0
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    =================== sda1: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

    GiB - GB File Fragment(s)

    = boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic 1
    = vmlinuz 1

    ========================== sdb/syslinux/syslinux.cfg: ==========================

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # D-I config version 2.0
    include menu.cfg
    default vesamenu.c32
    prompt 0
    timeout 50

    # If you would like to use the new menu and be presented with the option to install or run from USB at startup, remove # from the following line. This line was commented out (by request of many) to allow the old menu to be presented and to enable booting straight into the Live Environment!
    # ui gfxboot bootlogo
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    ================== sdb: Location of files loaded by Syslinux: ==================

    GiB - GB File Fragment(s)

    ?? = ?? ldlinux.sys 1
    ?? = ?? syslinux/chain.c32 1
    ?? = ?? syslinux/gfxboot.c32 1
    ?? = ?? syslinux/syslinux.cfg 1
    ?? = ?? syslinux/vesamenu.c32 1

    =============== sdb: Version of COM32(R) files used by Syslinux: ===============

    syslinux/chain.c32 : COM32R module (v4.xx)
    syslinux/gfxboot.c32 : COM32R module (v4.xx)
    syslinux/vesamenu.c32 : COM32R module (v4.xx)

    ======================== Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc: ========================

    Unknown BootLoader on sdc

    00000000 eb 58 90 58 42 4f 58 33 36 30 20 00 02 20 52 18 |.X.XBOX360 .. R.|
    00000010 02 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00 11 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
    00000020 00 80 3d 00 d7 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 |..=.............|
    00000030 01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
    00000040 80 00 29 15 93 ae 08 4e 4f 20 4e 41 4d 45 20 20 |..)....NO NAME |
    00000050 20 20 46 41 54 33 32 20 20 20 33 c9 8e d1 bc f4 | FAT32 3.....|
    00000060 7b 8e c1 8e d9 bd 00 7c 88 4e 02 8a 56 40 b4 41 |{......|.N..V@.A|
    00000070 bb aa 55 cd 13 72 10 81 fb 55 aa 75 0a f6 c1 01 |..U..r...U.u....|
    00000080 74 05 fe 46 02 eb 2d 8a 56 40 b4 08 cd 13 73 05 |t..F..-.V@....s.|
    00000090 b9 ff ff 8a f1 66 0f b6 c6 40 66 0f b6 d1 80 e2 |.....f...@f.....|
    000000a0 3f f7 e2 86 cd c0 ed 06 41 66 0f b7 c9 66 f7 e1 |?.......Af...f..|
    000000b0 66 89 46 f8 83 7e 16 00 75 38 83 7e 2a 00 77 32 |f.F..~..u8.~*.w2|
    000000c0 66 8b 46 1c 66 83 c0 0c bb 00 80 b9 01 00 e8 2b |f.F.f..........+|
    000000d0 00 e9 2c 03 a0 fa 7d b4 7d 8b f0 ac 84 c0 74 17 |..,...}.}.....t.|
    000000e0 3c ff 74 09 b4 0e bb 07 00 cd 10 eb ee a0 fb 7d |<.t............}|
    000000f0 eb e5 a0 f9 7d eb e0 98 cd 16 cd 19 66 60 80 7e |....}.......f`.~|
    00000100 02 00 0f 84 20 00 66 6a 00 66 50 06 53 66 68 10 |.... .fj.fP.Sfh.|
    00000110 00 01 00 b4 42 8a 56 40 8b f4 cd 13 66 58 66 58 |....B.V@....fXfX|
    00000120 66 58 66 58 eb 33 66 3b 46 f8 72 03 f9 eb 2a 66 |fXfX.3f;F.r...*f|
    00000130 33 d2 66 0f b7 4e 18 66 f7 f1 fe c2 8a ca 66 8b |3.f..N.f......f.|
    00000140 d0 66 c1 ea 10 f7 76 1a 86 d6 8a 56 40 8a e8 c0 |.f....v....V@...|
    00000150 e4 06 0a cc b8 01 02 cd 13 66 61 0f 82 75 ff 81 |.........fa..u..|
    00000160 c3 00 02 66 40 49 75 94 c3 42 4f 4f 54 4d 47 52 |...f@Iu..BOOTMGR|
    00000170 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 | ............|
    00000180 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
    *
    000001a0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0d 0a 42 4f |..............BO|
    000001b0 4f 54 4d 47 52 20 69 73 20 6d 69 73 73 69 6e 67 |OTMGR is missing|
    000001c0 ff 0d 0a 44 69 73 6b 20 65 72 72 6f 72 ff 0d 0a |...Disk error...|
    000001d0 50 72 65 73 73 20 61 6e 79 20 6b 65 79 20 74 6f |Press any key to|
    000001e0 20 72 65 73 74 61 72 74 0d 0a 00 00 00 00 00 00 | restart........|
    000001f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ac c1 ce 00 00 55 aa |..............U.|
    00000200


    =============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

    awk: cmd. line:36: Math support is not compiled in
    awk: cmd. line:36: Math support is not compiled in
    /home/ubuntu/Desktop/boot_info_script.sh: line 1579: [: 2.73495e+09: integer expression expected

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: BOOTMGR missing, any help on how to fix?

    Out of what ever reason, the grub2 bootloader never installed. Boot into live mode, open terminal and execute one by one these commands to enter inside your hdd installation and install grub2 (the package name is officially grub-pc):

    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    sudo chroot /mnt
    I am breaking them down to be easier to view, you just keep executing line by line:
    Code:
    apt-get install grub-pc
    grub-mkconfig
    update-grub
    grub-install /dev/sda
    Code:
    exit
    sudo umount /mnt/sys
    sudo umount /mnt/dev
    sudo umount /mnt/proc
    sudo umount /mnt
    If during execution some error shows up, make sure you typed the command correctly. If yes, stop executing the commands and tell us exactly the error message and after which command it showed up.

    If you finish all of the above without errors, restart and hopefully ubuntu will boot.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    15

    Re: BOOTMGR missing, any help on how to fix?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Out of what ever reason, the grub2 bootloader never installed. Boot into live mode, open terminal and execute one by one these commands to enter inside your hdd installation and install grub2 (the package name is officially grub-pc):

    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    sudo chroot /mnt
    I am breaking them down to be easier to view, you just keep executing line by line:
    Code:
    apt-get install grub-pc
    grub-mkconfig
    update-grub
    grub-install /dev/sda
    Code:
    exit
    sudo umount /mnt/sys
    sudo umount /mnt/dev
    sudo umount /mnt/proc
    sudo umount /mnt
    If during execution some error shows up, make sure you typed the command correctly. If yes, stop executing the commands and tell us exactly the error message and after which command it showed up.

    If you finish all of the above without errors, restart and hopefully ubuntu will boot.
    sorry, i donot understand what it is i need to do, i have these codes, and i am currently running the live version of ubuntu, and i have terminal open. what is it i am copying and pasting one at a time and do i need any other codes that i need every time or is is just a case of copying one line then entering and then do that for the other 4 or so. if so what are the other simplfied code box's for?

    sorry to be a pain, iam sure you will be glad to get rid of me

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    15

    Re: BOOTMGR missing, any help on how to fix?

    i have managed to work out the way in wich you meant
    ist box - paste all at once
    2nd box - paste line by line
    3rd box - paste all at once

    but, i have carried this out and terminal closed itslef after last chunck of codes, and i have restarted without my hard drive and the same has happened, i have not seen any errors when terminal was executing the codes either
    would you like me to run the boot manager again?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: BOOTMGR missing, any help on how to fix?

    No, don't copy-paste. I think it can't work that way.

    You need to type it line by line in terminal hitting Enter after each line. It needs the Enter, that's why you can't copy paste. It's not that much to type.

    I also noticed another thing just now, you seem to be missing the kernel file which is the main file, so the above instructions might not work 100%, but do them anyway and later we will see if we can do something about the kernel file.

    It's like the install never finished so the kernel file is missing and the bootloader never got installed.

    I am wondering if it's better to simply reinstall again. It would be best if you use the manual install method, not one of the automatic ones but you don't seem to be experienced enough for it. If you can handle it, installing manually is always best because it gives you total control and in your case you are installing from a usb hdd if I understand correctly, which might be confusing the installed additionally.

    Another idea is to try using a cd or usb stick if possible, but not usb hdd.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    15

    Re: BOOTMGR missing, any help on how to fix?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    No, don't copy-paste. I think it can't work that way.

    You need to type it line by line in terminal hitting Enter after each line. It needs the Enter, that's why you can't copy paste. It's not that much to type.

    I also noticed another thing just now, you seem to be missing the kernel file which is the main file, so the above instructions might not work 100%, but do them anyway and later we will see if we can do something about the kernel file.

    It's like the install never finished so the kernel file is missing and the bootloader never got installed.

    I am wondering if it's better to simply reinstall again. It would be best if you use the manual install method, not one of the automatic ones but you don't seem to be experienced enough for it. If you can handle it, installing manually is always best because it gives you total control and in your case you are installing from a usb hdd if I understand correctly, which might be confusing the installed additionally.

    Another idea is to try using a cd or usb stick if possible, but not usb hdd.
    okay i will try the writing of codes in now,
    i did have a slight error, at the end of the installation it said something about a cd/dvd at the end, but i thought this was because i didnt have a cd or dvd in the disc drive it couldnt add any extra material that i assumed wasnt needed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •