Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a way to ERASE 7 from my hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is there a way to ERASE 7 from my hard drive

Thanks a million guys. I think I've gathered all the information that I need. I'm gonna go with the easy option one. Like I said, I really don't "need" the extra room, but it's nice to know I have it if I need it.

I'll let everyone know how it goes and mark this thread as solved when I'm done.

You guy are the best - THANKS!!!

-Leo

Beans

Thank you all for the information. I like the person whom started the thread am having a similar problem. I being curious set up a dual boot on my laptop of ubuntu 11.04 later to 11.10 with win 7 preinstalled when i purchased it. my back up disks were lost in a fire. now no matter safe mode system repair win 7 will start to boot then flash a blue screen for half second then goes back to boot menu. Linux hasnt given me any problems other than a steep learning curve. i have a 500 gb hard drive that linux is only using a 32 gb partition of. I really want that dead space back again thank you for helping someone else with a similar problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

WARNING TO NEWHORIZON

I just tried this:

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Option 2. To extend the root partition to include the unallocated space. But if your root and swap are logical partitions as part of the extended partition, you will actually need to extend the extended partition first to include the unallocated space, and once the extended partition is bigger you will need to extend root to take the available space.
    But obviously, I did something wrong because I lost grub and my computer won't boot anymore. I'm not advanced enough to know how to fix it (if it CAN be fixed). Lucky for me tho, I didn't have very much to lose (because I had everything backed up on my 500-Gig external hard drive).

If you don't know what you're doing (like my self lol), you should read up on it... A LOT!!!

Thanks a million everyone... I'm more than sure that it was my error because I'm not very advanced at this. I must have deleted the wrong ext4 or dev or SOMETHING lol. But seriously, everyone here on these forums are fantastic. Thanks a million for trying your best to help me with many options. I'm marking this as SOLVED because in one way or another... Windows 7 is being formatted as we speak (via DBAN).

-Leo
    Last edited by S2UIRR3L; March 29th, 2012 at 05:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

What probably happened is that grub2 files have moved on the disk during the resize. Grub2 installs only small part on the MBR of the disk, and this part knows where to look for the files to continue the boot. But it looks for them on the exact physical location where they are. If they move, they are still on the disk but not where it expects them.

In this case you can simply reinstall grub2 to the MBR and it connects to the files correctly again.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just formatted and started from zeros... Like I said, didn't have much to lose... I was just being lazy about it and didn't feel like re-downloading every program and tweaking everything again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by S2UIRR3L View Post
    I just formatted and started from zeros... Like I said, didn't have much to lose... I was just being lazy about it and didn't feel like re-downloading every program and tweaking everything again.
    That's fine. I just mentioned it for the future or for someone else finding this thread, when there is something to lose. You don't need a full reinstall, you just reinstall grub2 to the MBR, if the problem was what I suspect it was.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

darkrod - great advice buddy - thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12