Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 crash

Beans

Ubuntu 11.10 crash

So I've had ubuntu for about 4 months now, and have been enjoying the change of pace from windows.

That being said, I have encountered a problem. I have been trying to get the proprietary ATI drivers to work on my laptop, but had no luck. I decided the open source drivers worked sufficiently and stopped messing with it. I turned my computer off for the night, and when I booted it up the next day all was by no means well.

I now have no dock on the left side, none of the indicators (Name, battery life, shutdown, wifi, etc...) in the upper right hand corner, the radiance and ambiance themes have disappeared and it has now defaulted to one of the standard high contrast themes, and my workspaces are 1x4 rather than 3x3 as I had them set.

Obviously this happened because I was messing around with the display drivers, but how would I go about fixing it (other than a fresh install that is).

Edit: I now have my dock and upper right hand indicators back by purging fglrx. But my workspaces are still 1x4 rather that the stock 2x2 or the 3x3 that I had them set (I have tried changing it using MyUinty, but to no avail), also my cursor now flickers and disappears when I am in the system settings menu (this problem has been going on for a while, I tried changing the cursor theme, but that did not work).
    Last edited by wzfreeman; March 26th, 2012 at 03:02 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 crash

Self bump.

Beans

Video Drivers seem to be a weak point.Unless there is a reason you cannot I would say the quickest and best way would be a reinstall and dont muck around with other drivers

Beans

I reinstall all the time. I figure that if you play with ubuntu and try new things, it is going to break. I therefore am prepared to reinstall rather than spend the time hoping for help and or a work around

Beans

I thought I'd update this (consider it a bump via update), I fixed the cursor flickering, but my workspaces are still not right.

I'd really prefer not to reinstall purely because I don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling Mathematica.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Have you tried the MyUnity tool? Maybe it can help you out.
    C'est ma façon de parler.

Beans

Its time to nuke (Reinstall) it or get the old drivers back up and running.