Thread: Issues trying to get a Japanese Layout (setxkbmap)

Beans

Angry Issues trying to get a Japanese Layout (setxkbmap)

I've been trying for countless hours to get a Japanese keyboard layout on my Openbox setup. With Mac OS 10, one can choose Hiragana or Katakana in System Preferences, and affterwards type in Roman letters and be able to produce kana from that. Unfortunately, even with setxkbmap, I'm unable to obtain any such luck on finding a similar layout. =\

The only alternative I can find at this point is ibus, which is a nice program, but with the way I need to be able to access Japanese input on it (via keyboard shortcuts), that puts some irregularity on the setup I'm trying to accomplish, which is to have an Openbox menu that lets me choose between English, Hebrew and Japanese input.

I'm lost at this point, and have no clue what to do. Anybody able to help me here?

Beans

Re: Issues trying to get a Japanese Layout (setxkbmap)

I'm a Chinese translator and use ibus-pinyin, which needed a bit of tweaking to make it work.

I also had to download the language files. In Lubuntu this was under Preferences > Language Support > Install/Remove Languages (you can also check your input method in the same dialogue box). Then a box comes up which says "installed languages".

In fact the title is misleading because the languages aren't installed until you double click on them (a flaw in Lubuntu/Ubuntu?).

Then I reboot, just to make sure it all sticks.

The help screens for ibus are awful and it might take time to figure out the inbuilt but badly documented functionality.

Good luck.

Beans

Re: Issues trying to get a Japanese Layout (setxkbmap)

PS. An advanced "titles only" search in this forum gave five hits. They may have something useful in them.

http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=85949003