Thread: Acer Aspire One Hang on Reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Acer Aspire One Hang on Reboot

Hi All,

I have an Acer Aspire One D257-13434 with it's 250gb hdd split between Win 7 (starter) and Linux. I had xubuntu (11.04) running on it without any issues.

I decided to give lubuntu a try and installed from the 11.10 full (from a USB stick) and now when I get lubuntu to reboot, the netbook hangs at a black screen. The power is still applied but it's in limbo. I have to perform a hard stop (either press and hold the on/off button or pull the AC adapter and pull the battery).

Any ideas on why this happens with lubuntu but not with xubuntu? Any ideas on how I can fix this behavior?

TIA,
    Rick

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One Hang on Reboot

Hi.

I have the very same problem with my Acer Aspire One D257.

Everything works fine under Ubuntu, except that it will hang with black screen, when I try to reboot. So I have to do a "hard" power-off.

Shutdown works fine. So when a reboot is needed, I currently have to shutdown + power-on.

This happened with Ubuntu 12.04 until I upgraded to 12.10 recently, but 12.10 has the same problem

It's really sad, because except for the reboot issue, Ubuntu works absolutely flawless on the Acer Aspire One D257 netbook...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Is your system UEFI. If so? Add noefi to your /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noefi"

Todo this on the fly just edit the grub/kernel menu option.

This disables UEFI runtime services the Some UEFI implementations have wonky runtime services. There are three services boot, runtime, protocol noefi only disables runtime. With this option enabled /sys/firmware/efi/efivars will be empty.

If you have to update grub at any time you will have to remove the above change before upgrade.

Walt

Beans

Don't think it's using UEFI. It's just a very simple Atom Netbook, no fancy stuff. But how do I check?
    Last edited by LoRd MuldeR; October 22nd, 2012 at 10:51 PM.

Beans