My question is not directly related with ubuntu. However, I still hope someone can answer it.

When i checked the plugins in Firefox (about:plugins), I saw that the most multimedia files are handled by either "VLC Multimedia Plugin (compatible Totem 3.0.1)" or "Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Totem)". On the other hand, about:plugins page (of firefox) says these 2 plugins are associated with libtotem-cone-plugin.so and libtotem-gmp-plugin.so.

Synaptic says these 2 .so library files are installed by the Totem itself. They are nothing to do with vlc or any other "media player".

My question is why the totem's own mozilla plugins are named as VLC plugins? In fact the real question that I would like to learn is which framework (gstreamer or ffmpeg) is currently used to decode multimedia objects that are processed with these plugins. (Totem is based on gstreamer, whereas vlc is based on ffmeg). Is there anyway to learn actually which program is being used to decode these multimedia files with the above plugins?