Thread: Screen Size on iBook G3

Beans

Screen Size on iBook G3

I recently wiped the drive on my 600mhz ibook G3 and installed ubuntu 10.04 on it. I had some troubles installing but after a few tries I got it. But after the initial boot, when gnome starts to load, the screen retreats to the upper left corner with a resolution of 800x600, leaving a wide black bar on the right and a repeat of the screen on the bottom. I have looked far and wide looking for a solution. I attempted to change my xorg.conf settings, but I cannot find it. The closest thing I have is an xorg.conf.d folder in /lib/X11/ that only contains a few unscreen related files. When I run xrandr it gives me the incorrec resolution for the screen. When I run hwinfo --monitor, I get the correct info. I don't know much as this is my first Linux computer but I learn quick. I believe it is a hardware related problem as when I run the hardware update it says ihave no preferential hardware and gives me a list of no hardware. Any assistance is appreciated thanks.

Beans

Re: Screen Size on iBook G3

Also, I plan on installing a different desktop since gnome is a little heavy, possibly LXDE. But I want to solve this issue first.

Beans

I have a similar problem because I can't have a 1440x900 resolution, which I should have. If I choose it (I can, using xrandr or any gui settings), I have a problem like yours, just the upper left part of the screen used and clippng part of the desktop (like if it was hiding to the outside of the screen).

I found no solution, I keep the 1280x800 resolution, which is not bad, but still...

Anyway, did you simply try to change the resolution (with xrandr changing the modes or from the screen settings?)
    Ubuntu 13.04 (Gnome Classic) running on a PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth); Kubuntu 13.04 running on a Macbook 2,1

Beans

Please test on (L)Ubuntu 12.04 and file a bug report, and add a link here. I am not sure how hwinfo gets this right but the X driver could possibly find out as well then. Please attach "hwinfo --monitor" and "fbdev -i" output to the report.

EDIT: On my G4 with radeon it looks like hwinfo gets the monitor info from the PROM through /proc/device-tree. Please run "find /proc/device-tree -name EDID" and attach a copy of any resulting files.
    Last edited by tormod; April 6th, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs