Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard drive randomly full

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Hard drive randomly full

Yeah, I still haven't been able to figure out where the 100 gb went, but I'm down to a reasonable fill amount (55%, and it hasn't changed), so I think I'm going to just give up and mark this thread as solved.
    Thanks for all your suggestions, guys.

Beans

I have a similar problem
    Attempt to up grade 10.10 on line fails after 3-1/2hrs - corrupt files, including boot.
    Shut down screen script replaced with vertical rectangles.
    Will not reboot.
    Boot from 11.11 Canonical CD - need to upgrade to 11.04 first.
    Try to upgrade to 11.04 on line, insufficient space on hard drive.
    Hard drive analyzer says disc is 100% full. - Its a 500GB disc.
    Tried clean and auto clean - nothing happens.
    Tried ls --recursive --all -Slh - lots files all showing todays date.

I would like to know what has happened here - but my level of experience is beginner.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I also had a similar problem. The way I dealt with it was to track it down to where it was. I knew the huge file was in my home folder. So I just selected half of the files in my home folder and checked how large it was. Check the propeties. It wasn't in this half so it must be in the other half of the selection. Then of that half I select half and check again which half holds the missing space. Continue till you track it down. Shouldn't take all that long.

Beans

Intending to follow the advice of johnyboysmithy I started the machine this evening, being under the impression it would need to boot from disc I pressed DEL to select boot from disc before remembering the correct key is Esc.
    I also pressed the CD door button - it opened and then closed, pressing it again opened it allowing me to insert my 10.10 disc.
    Before the door fully closed the machine had booted up and asked for my log in information.
    I then looked at Disk Analyzer again - it now shows Total file system capacity 450.9 gb, file usage 36.9gb.
    The machine appears to be working normally.
    I haven't check which version of Ubuntu I am on yet - I'll check discs etc next.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12