Thread: Screen works fine then goes blank

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Screen works fine then goes blank

Hello,

I'm running 11.10 dual booted with Windows 7. I recently upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 to 11.10. Everything in 10.10 was working just fine, but things have begun to go a little weird with the graphics since the updates.

At first, I was getting applications to load, but the windows would be all white with no content. If I resized the windows, and moved them around, eventually they would decide to show off their content. I updated the NVidia drivers and that seemed to fix that.

I don't know if this is relevant, but just this morning, I got grub to find Windows 7 again.

Later this morning, I came back to the computer to find out that the monitor had gone to sleep. This is nothing unusual, but when I tried to get the monitor to respond, it would say that it wasn't getting input from the computer.

It happened again, but while checking emails. There was no reason for the screen to blank out that I'm aware of. It just went black and didn't respond to anything but the power button.

Has anybody else dealt with this problem, and if so, what can one do to fix it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Screen works fine then goes blank

Quote Originally Posted by zyxuvius View Post
    Hello,

I'm running 11.10 dual booted with Windows 7. I recently upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 to 11.10. Everything in 10.10 was working just fine, but things have begun to go a little weird with the graphics since the updates.

At first, I was getting applications to load, but the windows would be all white with no content. If I resized the windows, and moved them around, eventually they would decide to show off their content. I updated the NVidia drivers and that seemed to fix that.

I don't know if this is relevant, but just this morning, I got grub to find Windows 7 again.

Later this morning, I came back to the computer to find out that the monitor had gone to sleep. This is nothing unusual, but when I tried to get the monitor to respond, it would say that it wasn't getting input from the computer.

It happened again, but while checking emails. There was no reason for the screen to blank out that I'm aware of. It just went black and didn't respond to anything but the power button.

Has anybody else dealt with this problem, and if so, what can one do to fix it?

The kernels being used in 11.10 aren't very friendly to graphics cards.
    What kind of video card? I assume its AMD because its very common.