Thread: ubuntu install issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

ubuntu install issue

When I try to install/run ubuntu 11.10 from a liveCD, it just hangs on this screen...

http://imgur.com/kciVr

Any ideas?

I've unplugged all my usb devices other than my death adder mouse and g15 keyboard, tried 32bit and 64bit 11.10 but both do the same thing.

Ran the memory test on the ubuntu install CD and it was fine.

Thanks,

pc specs.. Asus P5Q motherboard Q6700 cpu 4gig dominator 1066mhz corsair 1tb HDD Asus 560ti graphics card

After unplugging all my usb devices (putting a new keyboard in) and disabling firewire on my motherboard in the bios, I get the image below...

http://imgur.com/MPin2

Beans

Re: ubuntu install issue

Hey,

the problem you described looks very similar to this one here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1946307

So booting with the nomodeset kernel parameter should resolve your issue with the nvidia display driver (nouveau).

Beans

a more direct link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

sounds painful, if the nvidia card isn't onboard, maybe remove it and use onboard graphics while installing? Then when the OS is installed, and you boot to the hdd and load the OS, try sudo apt-get install update in the terminal and sudo apt-get install upgrade as well

then turn off the pc, install your nvidia graphics card in an expansion slot, reboot the pc, and see if ubuntu recognizes the drivers, you can lspci and post the syntax and return to this thread if you like. OR you could try and visit the web site of nvidia, look for your exact graphics card, and see if there are linux drivers for it, if not try getting windows drivers, then put all that on a flash drive, then put the flash drive in a usb port on the computer you just installed ubuntu on...

BAD idea. because without the proper gpu drivers installed how in the world will you be able to get the OS to load without a blue screen saying no graphics drivers are installed. This is tricky. I'd say the best option is of course to set the no parameter but the OP in that thread even says it's risky because your CPU fan might stop spinning. What a hassle

Beans

the xorg drivers dont support your card on this release.

You need to boot with nomodeset

Reboot your computer, keep tapping the up arrow key. you will be at the menu.

Press F6 ( i think ) to choose options. Choose nomodeset and boot.

Once installed you will need to do nomodeset again and then install nvidia drivers.

Beans

ah indeed simple and I made it complicated, as usual. Well that's me, I was looking at all that compiled kernel routine code, and got the idea this guy needed to rewrite a setting config file, which sounds like such a pain, because then he is more of a developer and might have to figure that c code is compiled in binary and the .c file with stdio or whatever is addressing this compiled code, and that that configure file is pointing to settings and simply changing them when he rewrite them. But what a pain one mistake and who knows what would go wrong

f6, like you plan to use a raid set up during install, simply select no mode set from bios, much simpler

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by imachavel View Post
    ah indeed simple and I made it complicated, as usual. Well that's me, I was looking at all that compiled kernel routine code, and got the idea this guy needed to rewrite a setting config file, which sounds like such a pain, because then he is more of a developer and might have to figure that c code is compiled in binary and the .c file with stdio or whatever is addressing this compiled code, and that that configure file is pointing to settings and simply changing them when he rewrite them. But what a pain one mistake and who knows what would go wrong

f6, like you plan to use a raid set up during install, simply select no mode set from bios, much simpler

lol. Your genius is to strong for such simple problems!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    the xorg drivers dont support your card on this release.

You need to boot with nomodeset

Reboot your computer, keep tapping the up arrow key. you will be at the menu.

Press F6 ( i think ) to choose options. Choose nomodeset and boot.

Once installed you will need to do nomodeset again and then install nvidia drivers.
    excellent, so launch the boot disc, do nomodeset, install the OS (will I still get the option to repartition my HDD, as I currently have windows 7 installed and was hoping to use the partitioner at the start), then restart, install the drivers, then unset "nomodeset"?

Thank you so much all

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by david99world View Post
    excellent, so launch the boot disc, do nomodeset, install the OS (will I still get the option to repartition my HDD, as I currently have windows 7 installed and was hoping to use the partitioner at the start), then restart, install the drivers, then unset "nomodeset"?

Thank you so much all
    no, after installation then restart with nomodeset again and then install the drivers.

also suggets you use windows disk manager to repartition the drive. and make sure you defragment the disk first a couple of times (2) before doing that and run a checkdisk after that otherwise it could get ugly.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You know with regards to "nomodeset" will it just load in a very simple GUI resolution like 800x600 or will it be all command line based? Just I don't feel confident being able to download the nvidia drivers etc via command prompt.

Thank you very much for your advice.
    Last edited by david99world; March 25th, 2012 at 07:04 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by david99world View Post
    You know with regards to "nomodeset" will it just load in a very simple GUI resolution like 800x600 or will it be all command line based? Just I don't feel confident being able to download the nvidia drivers etc via command prompt.

Thank you very much for your advice.

It SHOULD load a gui for you.

If you do happen to reach a command line

sudo bash

apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-nvidia ( think )

lightdm restart