Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to associate a file type with an application?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: how to associate a file type with an application?

Quote Originally Posted by JKyleOKC View Post
    Someone else will have to tell you exactly where the file should be saved; I'm on an older version and use Xubuntu rather than Ubuntu, but the spec for desktop files themselves hasn't changed.
    .desktop files go in ~/.local/share/applications in your /home folder.

And remember, when you name the scripts to name them with the .desktop extension.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I had absolutely no idea that ubuntu/gnome-3/unity had "progressed" so far that a simple thing like a custom command box has now gone from this option in file properties.

How on earth can gnome devs remove this sort of thing; or is it simply a case of not quite being there yet, like a lot of other configuration options?

I am so glad I still run 10.04!!
    Hopefully, they just haven't gotten Gnome3 there yet, and they will. That's a pretty stupid thing to intentionally remove.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

I will be the first to admit that this is a goofy thing to do if all you want to do is create one custom association but if you do this sort of thing all the time you might consider installing XFCE's File manager, Thunar. It has all sorts of advanced capabilities
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    I will be the first to admit that this is a goofy thing to do if all you want to do is create one custom association but if you do this sort of thing all the time you might consider installing XFCE's File manager, Thunar. It has all sorts of advanced capabilities
    Thank you for that suggestion. I haven't used Thunar for a long time. I might have to check it out again.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12