Thread: Adobe flash broken for primary user but works for newly created user

Beans

Adobe flash broken for primary user but works for newly created user

Hello,

I've recently had my Adobe Flash Plugin:

File: /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.soVersion: Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102(installed via Flash-Aid in Firefox)

stop working for me. It will play audio through the course of a flash video, then, once the audio completes, will play choppy video afterward, if at all.

I'd read some posts where trying flash by creating a new user account was a possible troubleshooting step. I've created a new user and the plugin works perfectly for that newly created user. Though I would, of course, like it to work for my primary account as well.

Apparently my primary user has got some mucked up account settings or something interfering with the plugin's operation. Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this, and thanks!
    HUZZAH UBUNTU, HUZZAH!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Adobe flash broken for primary user but works for newly created user

Hi, in the primary account open firefox clixk on tools>addons then type flashaid into the search box and install it and follow the directions it will fix almost all flash issues for the whole computer not just firefox.
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, in the primary account open firefox clixk on tools>addons then type flashaid into the search box and install it and follow the directions it will fix almost all flash issues for the whole computer not just firefox.
    Thanks
    Hey wildmanne39,

I'd been using Flash-Aid, quite successfully, up until this problem occurred, I should have mentioned that, and after the problem occurred I've uninstalled and reinstalled Flash through the Flash-Aid addon in all of the various options since, none of which, sadly, has worked. Again though, it runs like a charm in the separate, newly created user. Go figure...

I really appreciate your taking the time to reply though. Please let me know if you've got any other ideas.

Thanks!
    HUZZAH UBUNTU, HUZZAH!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

##If all else fails remove all remnants of flash and install new from Adobe.
    # "Stopping any Firefox that might be running"
    sudo killall -9 firefox

# "Removing any other flash plugin previously installed one at a time:"

sudo apt-get remove -y --purge flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla libflashsupport nspluginwrapper

sudo rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -f ~/.mozilla/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper

Download flash from adobe to Downloads
    cd Downloads
    tar zxvf libflashplayer-(version of flash).so.tar.gz
    sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans

Hey Garvinrick4,

I followed your instructions. It's worth noting though, that I got the following when trying to remove flashplugin-nonfree and libflashsupport:

Code:
    Virtual packages like 'flashplugin-nonfree' can't be removed
    Virtual packages like 'libflashsupport' can't be removed
    Turns out, that didn't present a problem though, the others had already been removed during my frenzy to try and fix this issue before, EXCEPT, that is, nspluginwrapper; the only package, in my case, that actually was removed by your above commands.

As of now everything is working great again=D>. So, I am going to chalk this up to an unnecessary and or corrupted version of nspluginwrapper ruining the party, not to mention robbing a good chunk of CPU cycles during the time it was running.

Thanks a million for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it.

Moving this one to the "SOLVED" pile.

Cheers
    HUZZAH UBUNTU, HUZZAH!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I followed your instructions. It's worth noting though, that I got the following when trying to remove flashplugin-nonfree and libflashsupport:
    Hi promet,
    The instructions were just to remove anything and everything that can be removed some
    of course are not installed. But when new guys used to try to install flash stuff would be everywhere so I used this then,
    overkill but worked. Nowadays Lovinglinux's flash-aid scripts
    usually removes all the junk then reinstalls do not know why it did not work for you or why
    just one user flash did not work. For some reason I got used to downloading my own flash
    from adobe when they had beta 64 bit not in Ubuntu repo's. Anyway good to keep this just in case it always works.
    I actually got this from an old bash script and tore it apart and made it manual. Have a nice day promet.
    Last edited by garvinrick4; March 25th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member: