Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Low Disk Space

Beans

Re: dot before folder name?

That GParted full Tutorial is the clearest thing I have read so far on Partitioning. Thanks

I just opened Gparted to see what my set up currently looks like. Screenshots are attached.

if memory serves though that I think I might have two physical drives, one only 20Gb and the other something like 250Gb.
    (this was a cobbled together system and so I might well have just used a spare 20Gb HDD to install Ubuntu on.)

Would this seem correct based on the screenshots?

if that is the case, I presume I cannot resize the "sda"?
    To get more space for Ubuntu I would have to reinstall on the other HDD or another one?

Again, many thanks. This has been a very helpful exercise. I don't feel as useless and helpless as I did 2 days ago.

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: dot before folder name?

Quote Originally Posted by pjstock View Post
    if that is the case, I presume I cannot resize the "sda"?
    To get more space for Ubuntu I would have to reinstall on the other HDD or another one?
    Not at all; you can have the larger one automounted and store data on it while the system files stay on the smaller one. It's a bit complicated to explain but quite straightforward to actually do. The starting point is to create an empty partition on the large drive, and a (temporary) mount point in your system, then mount that empty partition at the new mount point. Next, copy all the content of your home directory to that new mount point and verify that it's there. Finally, add a line to the /etc/fstab file to mount that new partition to /home/yourname (with "yourname" replaced by your actual user name) at boot time, and reboot the system. Your home directory will now be on the large drive rather than on the small one and all new files you create there will be on the large drive as well.

Verify these instructions with others, though, before trying to follow them. I've given you the "executive summary" but there may be critical points that I've overlooked, and if there are, you could make your system difficult to boot (although I don't think I've suggested anything that could cause permanent damage)...
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

Re: Low Disk Space (again. sigh) Help! in laypersons terms

Quote Originally Posted by pjstock View Post
    DU shows the attached.
    there seems to be an Audacity (a sound recorder I use) folder hogging 4.5Gb.
    I could happily get ride of or relocated that if I could figure out where it is located.
    Do you see where it says "Scan Home" near the top left of the screen? One of the icons just to the right of that is "Scan Filesystem" and that's the one you want to click to analyse the full disk (not just your /home folder).

Based on the screenshots I don't see any problem really, it's just that your 20gb drive is not much bigger than the recommended minimum of 15gb, so you will have to be very careful installing applications, downloading files, etc.

Beans

Re: Low Disk Space

Based on the screenshots I don't see any problem really, it's just that your 20gb drive is not much bigger than the recommended minimum of 15gb, so you will have to be very careful installing applications, downloading files, etc.
    I agree too .... the gparted screenshots look good ..... you should be ok now for some time ....

The thing I would consider for the future .....

The 20 Gig drive ...... * ( if this in a Desktop machine ..... )

At some point I would consider upgrading the drive ( possibly a matching 250 Gig internal and clone the 20 Gig to it .... )

another option that I recommend if its a laptop .... is to add a external USB hard drive
    my favourite is the 500 Gig Seagate .... for speed and ease of setting up.
    ( each computer is different - but upto now I have had no problems and run them on 4 different computers .... )

As I say looking at what you have now - you should be ok for some time .... unless you intend installing loads of massive games ..... if the applications that you install are small
    you should be able to go for a good six months .... maybe when the new 12.10 comes out ...... consider new options ..... my 2 cents anyway ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; March 25th, 2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added ending bracket - plus cloning the 20 gig onto to a new 250 gig ....

Beans

disk usage analyzer use

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    if this in a Desktop machine ..... )
    Indeed this diagnosis was for a desktop.

But speaking of laptops..... my next cleanup project is on a laptop sporting Ubuntu but which only has only a single 35Gb HDD total.

the DF-h command shows the following:

peter@peterx300:~$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 6.5G 5.7G 408M 94% /
    none 300M 652K 300M 1% /dev
    none 307M 1.2M 306M 1% /dev/shm
    none 307M 420K 306M 1% /var/run
    none 307M 0 307M 0% /var/lock
    /dev/sda6 29G 23G 5.2G 82% /media/28a27f7c-83ff-4415-b9c5-7734f03be244

I expect that like my desktop, I have inadvertantly saved user generated files to the boot area.
    How can I use Disk Usage Analyzer to show me usage on just the boot partition folders? (Or at least to have it analzye each partition independently). That is I expect where the constriction is most occurring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

/dev/sda1 6.5G 5.7G 408M 94% /
    You are cutting it close for root in my mind here ..... 6.5 Gig .... you may be constantly
    having to tidy this up ......

My option was to add a external USB hard drive ....

I have a Acer Aspire 1350 laptop with a 40 Gig drive in it .... and have it set up for
    basic things like browsing the Web and a couple of 3D programs for design work
    but all the Data goes to a external 500 Gig USB drive ....

Root I rarely have below 20 Gig on any of my installs ...

Yours is
    6.5 Gig with 408 meg free .....

Even after tidying it up completely you are not going to get any lower than 5 Gig ....
    and that may not run many things ......

But its a good puzzle .... to work on .....

My idea would be to increase that partition size and make life easier for yourself ......
    and add a external USB hard drive .....

I used to mess about reducing and reducing things .....
    but with updates and upgrades being as they are .....
    the best way is add more storage space IMHO ....

Especially with the Total Drive only being 35 Gig here ......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi, also if your root get's completely full your system will not boot.
    Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123