Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Next with Unity 8 and Mir on the Desktop – Screen Tour

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu Next with Unity 8 and Mir on the Desktop – Screen Tour

Ubuntu Next with Unity 8 and Mir on the Desktop – Screen Tour at softpedia

For better System Stability and Security avoid 3rd party programs & apps where you can; and only use those you really need.
    I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 HP and my last "BSOD" was in April 2012!!!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ubuntu Next with Unity 8 and Mir on the Desktop – Screen Tour

It is good to see it working on someone's system. I have installed Ubuntu Desktop Next but because I have an Nvidia graphic card it gets no further than the login screen. Xserver is being used and so is LighDM so as to get a desktop login screen but the change-over to a Mir desktop does not happen on my machine. One day it will. Meanwhile I update it every few days to see if things have improved.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Same here .. update current Next Installs. I was very ethusiastic about it at first but it has become a real disappointment, even from a testing aspect point of veiw. The unity8 script we were given on saucy and trusty development releases were much more workable. Seems like it's been shelfed and not dusted. It was working and now I just get black-space or the ominous mouse-pointer at the top left of the begginings of what was once called 'mir'.

Regards..
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    I zsync my U8 iso daily. It has vacillated between not letting me login and not giving me a keyboard when an app is opened. If I try to install something it wants a Ubuntu One account but then I can't enter my login info for lack of a keyboard. I will keep trying.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans

I know nobody cares, but if the future of Ubuntu is a mobile/tablet style (Windows 8 style) desktop environment, I'm out. The screen tour at softpedia looks like absolute garbage to me. I'm using a 1920 x 1080 monitor, and have no desire to swipe my finger across it, nor do I think doing so will be beneficial when trying to work. Yes, I actually do work on my computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by skunkbad View Post
    I know nobody cares, but if the future of Ubuntu is a mobile/tablet style (Windows 8 style) desktop environment, I'm out. The screen tour at softpedia looks like absolute garbage to me. I'm using a 1920 x 1080 monitor, and have no desire to swipe my finger across it, nor do I think doing so will be beneficial when trying to work. Yes, I actually do work on my computer.
    To be fair, the developpment of Unity 8 for the desktop PC is still at it's first faltering steps. it's way too early to judge what it will actually look like in 2016.

In all cases, a great thing about the Ubuntu family is that the choice is given to you to choose whatever desktop environment works better for you. If you don't like Unity, then you might want to consider Xubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome, Ubuntu Mate, Lubuntu or Kubuntu.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro

if the future of Ubuntu is a mobile/tablet style (Windows 8 style) desktop environment,
    It is not. You are wrong about that. Although I cannot get past the login screen I still update using recovery mode and I see all the standard updates that Utopic Unicorn is getting plus those special to Ubuntu for phones and tablets.

The aim is to have one Ubuntu code base that will present a phone type UI when installed on a mobile phone device and a tablet UI when installed on a mobile tablet device and a desktop UI (that is Unity 8) when installed on laptops and desktop machines. But the aim is far higher than just that.

The intention is for Ubuntu to be pre-installed on super phones that can become a tablet when connected to a tablet size screen and a PC when connected to a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

Imagine a PC that is also a mobile phone even when being used as a PC. Imagine a tablet that is also a mobile phone when it is being used as a tablet and when it is being used as a PC.

The main difference between Unity 8 and Unity 7 is that Unity 8 has been re-written to run on Mir. Unity 8 will look much the same as Unity 7 when Ubuntu 16.04 is released. Unity 8 will come with additional functions that are suitable for mobile devices which Unity 7 does not support.

Besides, Unity 8 is not going to be back ported to Ubuntu 14.04. So, the future of Ubuntu is at the moment 14.04 LTS.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I pray ubuntu looks nothing like that when 16.04 comes out. I love Unity on 14.04.
    Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Imagine a PC that is also a mobile phone even when being used as a PC. Imagine a tablet that is also a mobile phone when it is being used as a tablet and when it is being used as a PC.
    I don't want to use my personal tracking device for production work.
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hadn't seen that yet... looks like a slick start!

Beans

Wow! I think they just invented Windows 8! (yawn)
    "...and you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking...racing around to come up behind you again." - Pink Floyd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast