Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Beans

Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Quote Originally Posted by zelemo View Post
    Hi

I've just upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10 and discovered a problem, which I solved myself after a couple of hours of scratching about - so I thought I'd post here in the hopes that someone else might find it useful.

On 12.04 (and several previous versions) I've had a /etc/fstab which does a few mounts to Windows and/or Samba servers using cifs (smbfs as was).

When I upgraded, I discovered on first boot that none of them worked. When I tried to mount manually, I got an error saying something like "bad sector block or other possible error - please do "dmesg | tail" to find out more."

So, I did a dmesg | tail and discovered the following errors:-

[ 432.864261] CIFS VFS: Connecting to DFS root not implemented yet
    [ 432.864388] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22

I'm going to cut a long story short. What happened was that, for some reason, the upgrade to 12.10 removed the old version of cifs-utils and didn't replace it with a new one.

I just did

sudo apt-get install cifs-utils

...and it all came back to life again.
    You are my HERO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When I updated my oneiric (to Precise), the update messed up the linux boot altogether.

I have Vista dual boot with Vista primary boot loader.
    This time the update left the MBR alone, but grub gave the menu, and every boot option ended up with "partition not found".

The first time I used alternate install and installed Grub in the beginning of the root partition. Then the update (Lucid -> Oneiric) wrote Grub2 onto the MBR and messed up the Vista boot too. The Oneiric didn't boot either, so I fixed the Vista boot and installed Oneiric from a DVD.

Why does Ubuntu push upgrades if they are NOT recommended?
    Why doesn't upgrade respect the boot loader installation of the older system? (If Grub is installed, not Grub2, why does it write upgrade to Grub2 without asking?)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@turboscrew: you should create bug reports on Launchpad.net https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by turboscrew View Post
    When I updated my oneiric (to Precise), the update messed up the linux boot altogether.

I have Vista dual boot with Vista primary boot loader.
    This time the update left the MBR alone, but grub gave the menu, and every boot option ended up with "partition not found".

The first time I used alternate install and installed Grub in the beginning of the root partition. Then the update (Lucid -> Oneiric) wrote Grub2 onto the MBR and messed up the Vista boot too. The Oneiric didn't boot either, so I fixed the Vista boot and installed Oneiric from a DVD.

Why does Ubuntu push upgrades if they are NOT recommended?
    Why doesn't upgrade respect the boot loader installation of the older system? (If Grub is installed, not Grub2, why does it write upgrade to Grub2 without asking?)
    Aha: I check with the EasyBCD and the upgrading only messed up the linux entry in the BCD. I deleted the old entry (it pointed into the Vista partition) and created a new entry.

Ubuntu booted fine!

Beans

Smile Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Actually not an error as such, but a number of apps are consistently crashing after my upgrade and I am not yet sure why. Additionally and annoyingly, a number of apps don't seem to want to re-install properly either.
    Netbeans crashes often, Aptana (won't actually start from a fresh copy). Perhaps a Java problem?
    Unity keeps losing title bars and window decoration, gnome-shell keeps falling over.
    A very odd one - LibreOffice Writer and Math don't appear to be installed when running Gnome or Unity but do appear when running Xfce (Xubuntu). I think that might be one for the LibreOffice folk.
    I updated Crossover Office, yet the old version still loads up. I couldn't see that issue reported on Codeweavers.

Secondlife won't run at all - some sort of LibGL error.

My recommendation to anyone thinking of upgrading from a heavily modded 12.04, is DON'T!! Do a full backup then a clean install. It really is the only way to have a good chance of having a production-worthy (desktop) system afterwards.

If I had some spare cash, I would update my hardware from this 5 year old Dell Studio 1535 but I don't.

I have a lot of work to do tomorrow and unfortunately I am going to have use that OS made in Redmond in order to do it. The very thought of that makes my skin crawl!

Peace.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If we are talking of this one
    http://www.cnet.com/laptops/dell-stu...-33088555.html
    I don't think you need any more investments. Forget Ubuntu and go for a fresh install of Xubuntu 12.10.

Since 12.10 is still young it is a good idea to enable the proposed repository.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Smile Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Hi Mörgæs
    Thanks for the advice. I will give that a go.
    It isn't that notebook but the chipset is the same, I believe, so the SecondLife issue may be helped by that.
    I'll drop a quick response here once I have put Xubuntu 12.10 on here.

All the best

Neil.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

My problem is fixed, but I thought I'd share my story.

I've stayed on 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin, but let the update manager do its thing after 12.10 Quantal Quetzal came out.

I lost the use of my touchpad and wireless antenna. After a week of living off my smartphone, I plugged in an Ethernet cable and ran
    sudo apt-get update

It told me that I had to run
    sudo dpgk --configure -a

which I did. After that, it failed to acknowledge the battery. My little charging-time-left display went to '(not found)' or something similar, and in short order the laptop suspended. I brought it back out of suspension, ran
    sudo shutdown -h now

and let it charge for a while. Now it works great. Battery's charging, I have wireless and I can point and click. I guess if I'd gone ahead and run apt-get without an internet connection, it would probably have worked out as well.

I'm using a 2007 ZaReason BigLap which came originally with 7.04 Feisty Fawn.

Beans

I could be wrong,but I think you will get more precise results about installed software with

Code:
    aptitude --display-format '%p' search '?installed!?automatic' > ~/my-packages
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans

So... maybe I should have done a clean install, but before I flush the machine, is there one last thing I could try to get it running?

<snip>

3) Boot into an older kernel.
    In the boot proces you might see a list of available kernels. Try going through them step by step and test if one works.

If the list does not appear by itself, pressing left-shift early in the boot will show it, provided you have the Grub 2 boot loader. If your initial install was Ubuntu 9.10 or later, you have Grub 2 - if it was older than 9.10, it is most definitely time for a reinstall.
    After an update my server 'failed to boot default or fallback entries' so I went to the previous linux versions and booted 3.2.0-35-generic (3.2.0-36-generic being the one that failed). How do I get rid of 3.2.0-36-generic and make 3.2.0-35-generic the default? Maybe then I'll can workout what went wrong.

Thanks
    Annie

$ uname -a
    Linux bioinf5 3.2.0-35-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 5 17:42:16 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    $ cat /etc/lsb-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS"

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast