Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Hi!, jcwinnie,

Please Post details of what you actually experience when you try to boot, and what you have tried to solve things;

EG,. how far does it get?,
    what do you see?
    What response you get to keystrokes? - such as 'Crtl+Alt+F1', 'Crtl+Alt+Del', or 'Shift'[ the later during boot sequence].

If you get a grub menu: Have you tried:
    Booting to recovery?
    Editing the grubmenu script?, eg to put in 'nomodeset'

Or tried Booting from a LiveCD/USB?

Please also Post details of your setup: computer make and model, CPU, integrated Graphics?, GPU,video card, memory, and how Ubuntu/Lubuntu is installed, ie with 'wubi' or direct, and if dual with Windows.[ If the later, does it work??]

Also please Post the output of the following, if you can get to a terminal [ or tty].
    Code:
    uname -ar
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 VGA
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Copy/Paste the command and output to a 'New Reply' edit box. highlight it and press the '#' icon in the toolbar at the top of the edit box.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Question Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Stuff happens so quickly around here.

My dual Linux PC (Lubuntu and Ubuntu) is back to normal. Earlier today I tried running Ubuntu and it gave me Lubuntu. I upgraded 4 selections for boot loader. Now everything seems back to normal, i.e., Lubuntu starts from the default selection. It has the previous setup. Now I guess I go test Ubuntu and start the craziness all over again.

Beans

Upgraded my highly customized 10.04 to 12.04. This went mostly without a hitch. I had to tinker with pulseaudio (which I didn't use with 10.04), but otherwise no problems, except I'm seeing very sluggish movement of windows around the screen. This is a relatively old machine, but it has a 3D graphics card which I've verified is working by running a game (bzflag) that I know works poorly without 3D acceleration. In addition, I've done clean installs of 12.04 on two other machines (a high spec laptop and a low spec netbook) and I don't see this behavior on either of them. When I say sluggish, I mean that when I grab a screen and move it, it's like it's moving in molasses - I move the mouse and after a pause, the window slowly drifts over to where I've stopped. In 10.04, this same machine was able to run compiz on medium settings, so I don't think it's the hardware. I suspect it's a simple setting, but I need some clues as to where to look.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bwanab View Post
    This is a relatively old machine...
    Please give a complete hardware description.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce FX5200/AGP/SSE2
    Memory: 1G

Don't know if this helps:

bill@amddesktop:~$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.35

Not software rendered: yes
    Not blacklisted: no
    GLX fbconfig: yes
    GLX texture from pixmap: yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program: yes
    GL fragment program: yes
    GL vertex buffer object: yes
    GL framebuffer object: yes
    GL version is 1.4+: yes

Unity 3D supported: no

One more data point: I logged into an xfce session for the first time since upgrading. I don't have this molasses problem at all. Screens move around as they should.
    Last edited by bwanab; October 15th, 2012 at 02:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have a Dell with the same screen card. Works fine with L/Xubuntu, as you have also seen yourself, but Ubuntu is too heavy.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    I have a Dell with the same screen card. Works fine with L/Xubuntu, as you have also seen yourself, but Ubuntu is too heavy.
    Thanks. I upgraded to an NVidia 6200 and Unity works fine. I'm still mostly an XFCE guy, but my family prefers Gnome/Unity.

Beans

I upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10 and now lost all the email tags in thunderbird.
    Anyone knows why or how to fix this?

Beans

Hi

I've just upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10 and discovered a problem, which I solved myself after a couple of hours of scratching about - so I thought I'd post here in the hopes that someone else might find it useful.

On 12.04 (and several previous versions) I've had a /etc/fstab which does a few mounts to Windows and/or Samba servers using cifs (smbfs as was).

When I upgraded, I discovered on first boot that none of them worked. When I tried to mount manually, I got an error saying something like "bad sector block or other possible error - please do "dmesg | tail" to find out more."

So, I did a dmesg | tail and discovered the following errors:-

[ 432.864261] CIFS VFS: Connecting to DFS root not implemented yet
    [ 432.864388] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22

I'm going to cut a long story short. What happened was that, for some reason, the upgrade to 12.10 removed the old version of cifs-utils and didn't replace it with a new one.

I just did

sudo apt-get install cifs-utils

...and it all came back to life again.

Beans

I upgraded a week ago from 12.04 to 12.10 and all is fine. However, I tried to check for any software updater but I receive the following error.
    W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/upubuntu-co...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    , W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/upubuntu-co...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    I will place in another thread.
    Last edited by MickM; November 3rd, 2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Wrong Thread

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast