Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Did you proceed through the steps outlined in the original post?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Did you proceed through the steps outlined in the original post?
    I hadn't gotten around to it yet, but thankfully. the problem actually resolved itself after a few hours.....maybe I should've been more patient, I guess.

Thanks anyway, though.

Beans

Mr. Moderator we don't expect from "push button" upgrade to have to do extra things especially if we are not that technical. The developer should test the new version first with the basic configuration most people have like downloading from camera using USB. All other previous upgrades I did, have no problems with this very basic feauture.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

1) From original post:
    Whether or not an upgrade is generally safe compared to a clean install is not the topic.
    2) I'm not a developer. If you have a suggestion for them it's not efficient to post it here.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Hello, I wish I had taken the precautions mentioned in this thread for the /home directory. I didn't make any backup which I know wasn't smart. I ran an upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04, and my user home dir seems to have vanished. Is there any hope for recovering the directory? If anyone more knowledgeable could point me in the right direction in getting to the bottom of this, or at least confirm that I'm probably out of luck, I'd appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi, welcome to the fora.

When something goes bad during an upgrade it's normally not a problem of lost files. They might be harder to access, but not gone.

Have you done a live boot?

Beans

Hi, welcome to the fora.

When something goes bad during an upgrade it's normally not a problem of lost files. They might be harder to access, but not gone.

Have you done a live boot?
    Thank you for your reply, mörgæs. I have not yet tried a live boot, but will do so. Is there any particular actions I should be taking once I live boot? In the meantime I'll get it set up and just poke around a bit.

Beans

I upgraded an Ubuntu 14.04 system (using fglrx) to Ubuntu 14.10, and I could not get a working session after that; it would just hang after logging in.
    Logging in to a text VT with ALT F1 worked, but gave me the funny error
    "systemd-logind[1057]: Failed to start unit user@1000.service: Unknown unit: user@1000.service"

I did three things that seem to have helped:
    1) linux-generic wasn't installed; I was still running kernel 3.13 ?! So I did
    sudo apt-get install linux-generic
    2) linux-source wasn't installed; it couldn't recompile the fglrx module on install (and apt-get install fglrx... complained) ?! So I did
    sudo apt-get install linux-source
    3) /etc/ati was empty, so I needed to reinstall fglrx and friends. But just doing dpkg -r and sudo apt-get install on them didn't seem to help.
    But as suggested in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...m/+bug/1359439,
    rebooting after uninstalling them might be important, e.g.
    sudo dpkg --purge fglrx fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-core
    sudo shutdown -r now
    sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-core
    Or maybe it was the --purge that was important.

ubuntu 14.10 was the most painful upgrade I've done in a long time. I usually prefer clean installs, and this is an example of why.

Beans

After action report:

We live in the woods. Mifi is all we got. So, Christmas Eve I needed to bump up another 2 gig. Well, looking at the data allowance, somehow it showed more like 4 gig. So, calculations in place, upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04. It did not go well. It seems that my separate home partition was not big enough and caused all kinds of havoc. Had to go through a LiveDVD to get a gparted that wanted to work. Did a couple of partial upgrades and stuff (who knows, sometimes I just keep pounding on the keys til something works). So I like it. Looks good. Wireless works. I'm hacking this out on it.

When trying to get a shell, the terminal pops up, displays a message that I can't seem to grab, and promptly disappears. Lurking has not found a similar problem or solution. Is there a setting or option for the shell that I've fat fingered?

What have I done? What can I do?

Thanks,

Gary

Acer T3-600 (yes, the emachines lawsuit one)
    T1620 dual core 2.7GHz
    4 Gb Ram
    Dual Boot 14.04 (was 10.04, then 12.04) Xubuntu, CAELinux 2013 / Windows 8.1 (only turned it on once in three months)
    1/2 TB SATA

Beans

Have you tried to run an xterm? Can you start a gnome-terminal (I assume that's what you are trying to start and it fails) from another user login like the guest? Might be a config issue if those two things work. Try this: rename the .config directory in your home drectory (thats dot config) to something like .configold and try the terminal again. If that works, you can just keep the new (newly created ) .config directory. Anything you think you need from the .configold directory, just copy over. If no improvement, just remove the newly created .config and rename the .configold back. You should always be able to get to one of the virtual terminals (Ctrl-Alt-F1 through F6).

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast