Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Beans

Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Hello all. I upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04 & now my wired internet keeps disconnecting & reconnecting.

I am dual booted with Win7 Ultimate & I do not get that problem in Windows. I decided to give the upgrade a try & everything went as normal just like my previous upgrades. When the upgrade was finished, I booted into Ubuntu & everything ran smoothly, for about two minutes. Then the internet disconnected (Wired Network disconnected - you are now offline). It stayed like that for about 3 seconds then reconnected (Wired Connection 1 - Connection Established). It stayed reconnected for 43 seconds, then disconnects for 3 seconds & the whole thing starts over until I go back to Windows.

I am hoping somebody else got this problem & solved it. I will also take the OP's advice & run a new version live first to test it out in the future.

Thanks in advance,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello All,

I tried to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS to 12.04.1 LTS. Everything seemed to go great until the system rebooted and had the message "The disk drive for / is not ready yet or not present". I waited for over an hour with no change. I then attempted different manual steps to try to mount the drive, installed and used boot repair with Live CD 12.04.1 LTS, and some other command line options based on google searches and Ubuntu form searches without success. I didn't want to waste anymore time so I just did a fresh install of 12.04.1 LTS and now everything now works as expected. I will have to spend a little bit of time installing applications I had before the fresh install and my data is backed up to USB drive.

No luck on upgrade. Fixed by fresh install. Thankfully I had my important data backed up.

PC used Dell Dimension E510.

~ Josh

Beans

You are developer, cant keep old files saved during upgrade ??
    all Important files, Lost

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jkuzenka View Post
    Hello All,

I tried to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS to 12.04.1 LTS. Everything seemed to go great until the system rebooted and had the message "The disk drive for / is not ready yet or not present". I waited for over an hour with no change. I then attempted different manual steps to try to mount the drive, installed and used boot repair with Live CD 12.04.1 LTS, and some other command line options based on google searches and Ubuntu form searches without success. I didn't want to waste anymore time so I just did a fresh install of 12.04.1 LTS and now everything now works as expected. I will have to spend a little bit of time installing applications I had before the fresh install and my data is backed up to USB drive.

No luck on upgrade. Fixed by fresh install. Thankfully I had my important data backed up.

PC used Dell Dimension E510.

~ Josh
    The same problem here .... is there any chance to patch up such broken upgrade? Namely, I do not like idea to reinstall all the third party programs ... However if there is no other way ....
    thanx in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Originally Posted by pixideps
    The same problem here .... is there any chance to patch up such broken upgrade? Namely, I do not like idea to reinstall all the third party programs ... However if there is no other way ....
    thanx in advance
    I am sorry to hear you had same issue that I had during the upgrade. I don't have any good news on this except that I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS from Live CD, installed updates, and then everything worked as expected. I understand what you are saying as I also chose the upgrade path so I would not have to do many re-installs of the applications that don't come out of the box with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I don't have an alternative way around this. Maybe another Ubuntu 12.04 user that has experience this issue during an upgrade, fixed it, and has done it differently can respond to our posts.

~ Josh

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Hello

If any upgrade fails via the Update Manager, the first thing I recommend to do is:
    1) boot on a Ubuntu CD, choose "Try Ubuntu", backup documents on an external disk (or DVDs)
    2) fix the system files via this simple way: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuReinstallation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Originally Posted by YannBuntu
    Hello

If any upgrade fails via the Update Manager, the first thing I recommend to do is:
    1) boot on a Ubuntu CD, choose "Try Ubuntu", backup documents on an external disk (or DVDs)
    2) fix the system files via this simple way: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuReinstallation
    I read the link you gave and this looks pretty easy. I wasn't aware of this when I tried the Upgrade from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS. I will keep this in mind if I try to upgrade again to another Ubuntu release.

Thanks,

~Josh

Beans

Unhappy Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

i upgraded, now have many problems very slow loading everything,do not like the new upgrade at all! how do i uninstall the new upgrade and go back to the one i had before the upgrade?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Quote Originally Posted by katopippin View Post
    i upgraded, now have many problems very slow loading everything,do not like the new upgrade at all! how do i uninstall the new upgrade and go back to the one i had before the upgrade?
    You can downgrade by:
    - either reinstalling the old Ubuntu above the new one, this way: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuReinstallation , but this is NOT recommended as software settings may not be retro-compatible.
    - or saving your documents, then reinstalling a "fresh" old version

I recommend a 3rd alternative: create a dualboot "old version" + "new version", so that you can use your old version while searching solutions for the problems you may have with the new version.

Beans

Unhappy Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

I upgraded Ubuntu 12.04 LTS again this morning as I regular do. I have a dual system on this PC. Or had until Ubuntu upgraded this morning and wiped out my Lubuntu 12.04, which is what I used most often.

How do I get Lubuntu back with everything the way it was?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast