Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dangerous "feature" of HUD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dangerous "feature" of HUD

Matt, I still think that those apps are wrong. Here's two screenshots from my computer. I submitted a bug to fix the keyboard layout text. The universal access indicator (you only get this if you go to System Settings>Universal Access>Typing>Turn on accessibility features from the keyboard) is broken in so many ways that it should just be disabled for now; at least it's a bit hidden.

Even though Tomboy doesn't really follow the right style, it's still easy to tell that it's Tomboy Preferences. Therefore, it's a bug in the other apps you're using to not use the indicator API correctly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Maybe they should include a tiny icon next to an entry
    Just a suggestion.
    That's not a bad idea but would probably require some major changes (currently there is only room to display one icon at a time.

My idea would be to update the focus (and show the highlighted entry's icon) when you mouse over it in the list.

I posted it as a suggestion here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/963986

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by matt2053 View Post
    That's not a bad idea but would probably require some major changes (currently there is only room to display one icon at a time.

My idea would be to update the focus (and show the highlighted entry's icon) when you mouse over it in the list.

I posted it as a suggestion here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/963986
    It (mostly) already does this. It doesn't do it on mouseover, but if you use the keyboard to highlight the entry the icon does change.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    It (mostly) already does this. It doesn't do it on mouseover, but if you use the keyboard to highlight the entry the icon does change.
    Yes, exactly. I think this behavior should be extended to mouse-over because many users don't like to use keyboard arrows in these situations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by keithpeter View Post
    Where is the unity-checklist?
    I never installed it or changed any settings to enable it so I wouldn't know.
    My previous installation was an upgrade from Oneiric to Precise and I think it was automatically installed as part of the early testing phase. Since then It would ask me to run the tests over again after every upgrade... Not had to do it yet on a new, fresh install of Precise.

The unity devs/designers read and respond to that list.
    https://launchpad.net/~unity-design
    That's encouraging. I will take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by keithpeter View Post
    Try installing lo-menubar.
    lo-menubar is long dead.
    It hasn't worked for quite some time now and no one is maintaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Matt, I still think that those apps are wrong.
    The apps are not wrong. Canonical's "standard" is wrong.
    What standard are these indicators supposed to follow?
    How likely is that standard to last six months?

In my honest opinion, there is nothing standard about the entire Ubuntu desktop experience at the moment. Even after the release of Precise I'll consider it beta until I see some major re-adoption from all those refugees who ran to Mint and elsewhere.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by quequotion View Post
    The apps are not wrong. Canonical's "standard" is wrong.
    What standard are these indicators supposed to follow?
    How likely is that standard to last six months?

In my honest opinion, there is nothing standard about the entire Ubuntu desktop experience at the moment. Even after the release of Precise I'll consider it beta until I see some major re-adoption from all those refugees who ran to Mint and elsewhere.
    "Power Settings...", "Sound Settings...", etc has been that way for at least 6 months. In Lucid, Maverick and Natty, it was "Sound Preferences..." which is pretty close.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    "Power Settings...", "Sound Settings...", etc has been that way for at least 6 months. In Lucid, Maverick and Natty, it was "Sound Preferences..." which is pretty close.
    I think you misunderstood; six months is a dismally short time in which to declare anything "standard".

Luckily, Precise is to be an LTS with extended service so it's features will have a chance to become standard--provided they prove worthwhile.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by quequotion View Post
    lo-menubar is long dead.
    It hasn't worked for quite some time now and no one is maintaining it.
    It works just fine on 12.04 on my netbook.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12