Thread: Very disappointed in ubuntu for the first time

Beans
    Hidden!

Angry Very disappointed in ubuntu for the first time

I have never used a Version of ubuntu that would not install the REAL AMD drivers for my HD 6870 videocard

after a clean install i get the pop-up that says Additional drivers are available and needed for full 3D support .

i click on the driver and it says its downloading and installing only to not work

i am stuck with what every cruddy basic driver ubuntu has loaded.

I need the Real drivers for my card not the ones that give crappy 3D support .

why is it that something as simple as video card drivers work out of the box in windows or mac but in linux its such a problem that i had to leave and go back to windows just to get video drivers to work.

this is why there never will be a year of the desktop linux

my question is how do i install AMD drivers without having to spend all day trying to get them to work .

am i wasting my time ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Very disappointed in ubuntu for the first time

"You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

why is it that something as simple as video card drivers work out of the box in windows or mac but in linux its such a problem that i had to leave and go back to windows just to get video drivers to work.
    I suppose it can be frustrating, but the devs of Linux distributions like Ubuntu are supporting a wider range of hardware blind, with no (or little) help from the vendors of your computer or the graphics card manufacturers.

MacOS supports a much more limited amount of hardware, produced by the same company. Windows will be helped by it's dominant position as graphics card vendors most likely supply the drivers, I guess the hardware may even be designed to work with Windows.

Bearing this in mind, the devs do an excellent job.

Which version of Ubuntu are you now trying to install these drivers on?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Actually most cards do not work out of the box in windows or mac; you almost always need a CD with the drivers to install in order to get newer video cards to work properly.

However, to your problem!

Have you looked for a driver on the AMD/ATI website, where newer drivers than are available then those in the additional drivers are often made available by the manufacturers, before ubuntu gets them in its repos. I can certainly not guarantee anything but see http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...uct=2.4.1.3.42 if you have not already looked. It says it supports xorg 7.5 (Oneiric) so should be OK for you.

Beans

I would take a lot of people "Demanding" drivers for Linux in order to take a "share" from Windows. The amd drivers for linux suck. I can never get them to install properly. They usually leave my system unusable. Nvidia/Intel works close to as good as they do in Windows...Good graphics card you have, poor drivers...and they are not open source so their isn't much the Ubuntu/Linux community can do. Blame AMD/ATI.