Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Flavour of Linux Next ?

Beans

Question What Flavour of Linux Next ?

What flavours of linux are you using alongside Ubuntu?

Over the years i have used a number of Distro’s one that stuck out in my head was Linux Mepis due to its great connectivity and ease of use. I am thinking of installing another Distro up pretty soon for testing but i am uncertain what one to go for.. there are so many!?.

Beans

Re: What Flavour of Linux Next ?

Mepis is a nice one!

I am currently test-driving Fuduntu. If you've never used a .rpm (red hat family) distro before, it is a fairly painless introduction.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've tried many different distros briefly. The ones that I have installed alongside Ubuntu, are a couple of Mints plus Kubuntu. And I've got Chakra installed on a hdd that I use with another computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Mepis is a nice one!

I am currently test-driving Fuduntu. If you've never used a .rpm (red hat family) distro before, it is a fairly painless introduction.
    Do you find that Fuduntu is running better than Ubuntu / ease of use ? i have never tried fedora before.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rk0r View Post
    Do you find that Fuduntu is running better than Ubuntu / ease of use ? i have never tried fedora before.
    I couldn't tell you; I haven't used Ubuntu since 9.04. I much prefer the .rpm family (red hat, centos, fedora, fuduntu) way of doing things.

I switched to Fuduntu from Fedora because Fedora went to Gnome 3. If you like Gnome 3 then Fedora is a good choice; if you prefer Gnome 2 then Fuduntu is for you.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I much prefer the .rpm family (red hat, centos, fedora, fuduntu) way of doing things.
    That's interesting. What is it you prefer? The package management?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    That's interesting. What is it you prefer? The package management?
    Not sure I can articulate it. Something about the engineering. Sort of like how some people prefer to drive German/American/Japanese cars.

Sometimes I feel like Ubuntu is designed by arrogant nerds for the projected needs of the imaginary non-nerds of tomorrow, whereas Red Hat is designed by arrogant nerds for the immediate needs of the arrogant nerds of today.

ps I am an arrogant nerd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'd recommend PCLinuxOS for a change. I haven't tried the KDE flavor, didn't care for the Xfce flavor but LXDE worked well, I thought. PcLinuxOS is as light as Lubuntu it seems and uses .rpm packages but uses Synaptic to manage them so that's familiar. I had a little issue with installing printers but the problem was a missing package in the default install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have been a Linux user for about a decade, and I have used about every major distribution in that time, and countless smaller ones. Recently though I have been bouncing around the various Ubuntu derivatives, finally landing on Xubuntu (which is on all my machines currently).

I have been thinking about going back to Debian though, on the testing branch. The rolling nature of Debian Testing appeals to me. The only thing really holding me back is that getting a Debian desktop up takes a lot more time than it does with Ubuntu, especially when it comes to proprietary software. The main benefit would be that I would not have to re-install or upgrade every 6 months to get the latest software.

I have also considered openSUSE with the Tumbleweed repos enabled to make it a rolling distro, but this does not work with NVidia graphics drivers, which makes it useless to me. I don't really get this, can they not just update the Nvidia drivers when they update the kernel? Other rolling distros seems to get around this issue I think (such as Debian Testing).

Either way, I am happy on Xubuntu, I just hate reloading my machines every 6 months.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    I have been thinking about going back to Debian though, on the testing branch. The rolling nature of Debian Testing appeals to me. The only thing really holding me back is that getting a Debian desktop up takes a lot more time than it does with Ubuntu, especially when it comes to proprietary software. The main benefit would be that I would not have to re-install or upgrade every 6 months to get the latest software.
    Debian Testing has little to offer an Ubuntu user, in my experience/opinion. The packages are no newer (sometimes even a little older), and the chance of breakage is higher.

I know people around here are probably sick of hearing it, but the best rolling release distro really is Arch.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast