Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What Flavour of Linux Next ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: What Flavour of Linux Next ?

Mint.
    Just to see, why people are so CRAZY about this OS.

Recently read about Backtrack. So may be that's the one after Mint.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by asadmalik View Post
    Mint.
    Just to see, why people are so CRAZY about this OS.
    A lot of good ideas come out of Mint (LMDE for example), it is just a shame the implementation is often broken and unusable for me. So I also don't understand why people go so crazy for the Mint release.

LMDE was a good idea, but both the Gnome and Xfce versions are horrible out of date. The Xfce version is still on 4.6... why, 4.8 has been out for quite some time? I also find these release quite buggy. The recent KDE release I could not even open the Update Manager without it crashing. And I just don't see why Cinnamon needs to be a full fork of Gnome 3. People have done similar with Gnome 3 with just config changes. If you really want a Gnome 2 experiences just use Xfce.

I guess I have only found Mint irrelevant. Back in the day it was just Ubuntu with codecs, and now they have all these projects that are never fully done properly.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

Cool Re: What Flavour of Linux Next ?

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Fair enough; my dislike of the ArchBang artwork/aesthetic may be clouding my objectivity. If you had personal success with Arch without following the Beginner's Guide then I respect your testimonial.
    Yes, thanks. I started with ArchBang in early October. I am still running it and I have the latest secure pacman 4, kernel 3.2.12, fglrx 12.2, etc. I have also made substantial non-pacman changes such as systemd for sysinit and I have replaced slim with lxdm. In other words, I have been learning tons.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I stick to LTS releases. By the time 10.04 reaches end-of-life, 12.04 will be as rock-solid and wonderful as Lucid has been.

Beans

I have a better idea.

How about we work on getting Microsoft, Adobe, Apple and others to release versions of their commercial software for Linux, and work on getting F/OSS alternatives whipped into shape as full, competitive alternatives, instead of wasting precious time and money on screwing around with solid, proven UI paradigms? Hmm?

I would love to have Photoshop, iPhoto, MS Word, iTunes, RapidWeaver, QuarkXPress, QuickBooks, various games, all running natively on Linux, along side such great software as K3B, Chrome, Thunderbird, VLC, HandBrake, and others. That day comes, sign me up! because I'll be all over that stuff.

Until then, o great and wise Linux community, kindly shut up.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    I have a better idea.

How about we work on getting Microsoft, Adobe, Apple and others to release versions of their commercial software for Linux, and work on getting F/OSS alternatives whipped into shape as full, competitive alternatives, instead of wasting precious time and money on screwing around with solid, proven UI paradigms? Hmm?

I would love to have Photoshop, iPhoto, MS Word, iTunes, RapidWeaver, QuarkXPress, QuickBooks, various games, all running natively on Linux, along side such great software as K3B, Chrome, Thunderbird, VLC, HandBrake, and others. That day comes, sign me up! because I'll be all over that stuff.

Until then, o great and wise Linux community, kindly shut up.

Thanks.
    Sorry, I don't use any of the non-Linux applications you listed above.

What do you suggest should the Linux community do to make the big companies develop SW for Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

You can try Linux Mint Debian Edition. Its a rolling release based on Debian testing.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    A lot of good ideas come out of Mint (LMDE for example), it is just a shame the implementation is often broken and unusable for me. So I also don't understand why people go so crazy for the Mint release.

LMDE was a good idea, but both the Gnome and Xfce versions are horrible out of date. The Xfce version is still on 4.6... why, 4.8 has been out for quite some time? I also find these release quite buggy. The recent KDE release I could not even open the Update Manager without it crashing. And I just don't see why Cinnamon needs to be a full fork of Gnome 3. People have done similar with Gnome 3 with just config changes. If you really want a Gnome 2 experiences just use Xfce.

I guess I have only found Mint irrelevant. Back in the day it was just Ubuntu with codecs, and now they have all these projects that are never fully done properly.
    I am using LMDE Gnome atm. They offer updates once a month. Real slow on updates but its stable.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

There's always Hanna Montana Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    I foresee a wildly popular ad campaign with this slogan. But who does the voice-over? James Earl Jones?
    Morgan Freeman has been doing a lot of voice overs lately.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    Hello MisterGaribaldi

Adobe might take Linux desktop seriously if it has plenty of users, and if there is a commercial aspect to it.

Logically, therefore, we should be pushing Ubuntu like mad, and we should be supporting the application market features in Ubuntu.

I feel a thread coming on...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast