Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Flavour of Linux Next ?

Beans

Re: What Flavour of Linux Next ?

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Debian Testing has little to offer an Ubuntu user, in my experience/opinion. The packages are no newer (sometimes even a little older), and the chance of breakage is higher.

I know people around here are probably sick of hearing it, but the best rolling release distro really is Arch.
    Strange you mention ARCH as i have just been reading about it.. i may download this over the weekend for a play. Is the Unity dektop only available to Ubuntu ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rk0r View Post
    Strange you mention ARCH as i have just been reading about it.. i may download this over the weekend for a play. Is the Unity dektop only available to Ubuntu ?
    Questions Arch can be answered by the almighty Arch Wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unity

Based on that, I'd stay, Stick with Ubuntu if Unity is your desktop environment of choice.

Arch is not a "download and take it for a spin over the weekend" type of distro. Installing it will take you a day or 2 working carefully step-by-step from this guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide
    Last edited by snowpine; March 23rd, 2012 at 02:40 PM.

Beans

Cool Re: What Flavour of Linux Next ?

What flavours of linux are you using alongside Ubuntu?
    Right now, I am running Ububtu 11.10 and 12.04, Arch Linux, and Sabayon Linux. Ubuntu 11.10 is still my main system, though.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Lightbulb Re: What Flavour of Linux Next ?

Arch is not a "download and take it for a spin over the weekend" type of distro.
    However, you can do that with ArchBang. http://archbang.org/

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello All

I use PUIAS Linux as my 'lifeboat' OS for when Precise beta is playing up.

PUIAS belongs to the RHEL/CentOS/Scientific Linux group, so its conservative with older packages. The PUIAS repositories have maths oriented software that I find useful and I can use Epel/Elrepo for drivers and multimedia.

PUIAS is provided for use by University departments and has paid packager time. Not sure what the support lifetime is however.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Lol. Just hang around another week and you'll hear about Arch another 50 times.

It has cooled down a lot, though. At one time, you would have thought that this was Arch's alternative backup forum.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    However, you can do that with ArchBang. http://archbang.org/
    True, but IMHO a "shortcut" like ArchBang or Chakra won't really help you decide "is Arch right for me?" like working methodically through the Beginner's Guide. Test-driving an attractive Openbox or KDE live CD will not teach you about pacman, rc.conf, AUR, rolling release upgrades, and so forth, which IMHO are Arch's "killer features."

Some people take one look at the Beginner's Guide and instantly know whether Arch is right or wrong for them.

Not sure I can articulate it. Something about the engineering. Sort of like how some people prefer to drive German/American/Japanese cars.

Sometimes I feel like Ubuntu is designed by arrogant nerds for the projected needs of the imaginary non-nerds of tomorrow, whereas Red Hat is designed by arrogant nerds for the immediate needs of the arrogant nerds of today.

ps I am an arrogant nerd.
    +1 this. Having done both, I find that it is easier to create and maintain rpm packages than deb packages. Arrogant nerds and Linux? No way!
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans

Ahhh! Fuduntu has become self-aware and started posting on Ubuntu Forums!!!

Ahhh! Fuduntu has become self-aware and started posting on Ubuntu Forums!!!
    I am in ur distro flipping ur bits
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast