Thread: did adobe update flash while i wasn't looking?

Beans

did adobe update flash while i wasn't looking?

once upon a time, Ubuntu 8.04 worked just fine on my computer. then support for it ended and i tried to upgrade to 10.04 and royally trashed my computer. i wiped the hard drive and reinstalled 8.04 and haven't been able to play anything on Youtube ever since. what's the deal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: did adobe update flash while i wasn't looking?

Ubuntu 8.04 still uses Flash 9 and last time I checked Flash 10 didn't work with it. Most recent flash version is 11. I haven't tested Hardy recently, but it is getting old. I would advise to upgrade.

Beans

Dozens of security flaws have been discovered in Adobe Flash since 2008, some of them affecting Linux users.

http://www.locklizard.com/adobe-flash-security.htm

If you are using end-of-support Ubuntu 8.04 then you are at risk. Sites like YouTube don't even support the outdated Flash versions any more.

Beans

thanks, good to know it's not my fault. let's start a popular uprising against youtube and demand backwards compatability with older systems so they don't leave the lower classes out of all the fun, those silly elitist jerks
    i'll upgrade as soon as i can afford it >.< thanks.

Beans

Um, what??

You know you can download the latest Flash from Adobe, right? http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Um, what??

You know you can download the latest Flash from Adobe, right? http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    You could also try my Flash-Aid extension. Since you are using Hardy, the extension will offer the old flash version from the repositories by default, but you can still try the beta version.

If you are using a 32bit system, you could also try Chrome browser, which comes with a custom Flash plugin.

Flash-Aid also allows to copy the plugin from Chrome if you are using a 32bit system, so you can use with Firefox and other browsers.

Beans

i've tried getting the updated flash from adobe, but i kinda.... suck at installing things on linux....
    as far as flash-aid is concerned, i'm leery of anything w/ the word 'beta' in it. my hardware's 12 years old and unlikely to be replaced anytime soon. is this 'beta' stable enough for an antique?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cu Rua View Post
    i've tried getting the updated flash from adobe, but i kinda.... suck at installing things on linux....
    as far as flash-aid is concerned, i'm leery of anything w/ the word 'beta' in it. my hardware's 12 years old and unlikely to be replaced anytime soon. is this 'beta' stable enough for an antique?
    The beta is stable enough.Is what I use daily. If you don't want to use the beta, you can get the latest stable version from Adobe in tar.gz format and use Flash-Aid advanced mode to install it. Just select "Custom" in the installation option and fill the path form with path to the tar.gz file.

Beans

tried the beta: all the sites that normally complained about my outdated flash player stopped complaining, but youtube still won't play videos
    tried the advanced installation on flash-aid w/ the tar.gz: sites started complaining that my flash player was outdated. adobe offered me a 32 bit player, is that the wrong one to grab?